462nd PFABN Majors Patch Question

one50

A good inner circle friend of mine was given this patch by Major Arlis Kline himself.

post-939-0-49544800-1514228797.jpg

I was not there when he gave it to him, but I have no doubt and I am not disputing this fact.

Major Kline was the top ranked CO of the 462nd Parachute Filed Artillery Battalion during WWII.

These patches are pretty rare a fetch a good buck as many of you know.

I have seen these go for up to $1800.00, the last few I have seen sell for just under $1000.00.

I am lucky enough to have an original 462nd PFABN patch in my collection and was double lucky to not pay a tenth of the above price for mine.

That's the back story.

Now, my friend who has the Majors original patch is ready to let it go.

I would love to have it....so, I need to be fair to him and to myself.

Knowing it's just a patch, do you put a premium on it for being the Majors actual patch?

The value of these has weened over the year or so in my opinion...whats a fair offer?

Do you think a trade would be insulting?

I give him mine to sell, and take his in return.

These thoughts are jumping through my head and just looking for a few sound responses.

Thanks

Dan

post-939-0-12312400-1514228612.gif

Unless you have provenance it was the majors, the patch is just the patch. The last that sold on ebay went for under 800. Try to trade if possible if money is an issue.

Just my thought unless the Major wrote out or signed something saying it was his patch it's not worth any more than your patch.It is a great story but as the adage says by the item not the story.Just my two cents worth.Scotty

As you well know, many of these 462nd PFA pocket patches were stenciled with the soldier's laundry number on the back side of the patch. I would say that only if this particular patch was so marked would anyone ever be able to pinpoint its provenance (unless there was something unusual about the patch like a stain that might be tied photographically to the soldier).

As for prices, I know during thee BoB craze that a lot of WWII airborne items sold for crazy money, but the market has softened considerably. I would say that a fair price for a 462nd PFA patch these days is in the $750 range. Offer that and go from there.

Allan