How do you pronouce PASGT?

mikie

Howdy,

I am slowly trying to learn about moderm military equipment. Until a couple of years ago, Korea War stuff was the most modern I had handle on. So how the heck is PASGT pronounced in polite converstion? Is it said as it is spelled or spelled out letter by letter? Silly question, I'm sure, but it IS me asking. Hopefully more intelligent questions sure to follow. Thanks!

Mikie

Retired Army Noncom

Howdy,

I am slowly trying to learn about moderm military equipment. Until a couple of years ago, Korea War stuff was the most modern I had handle on. So how the heck is PASGT pronounced in polite converstion? Is it said as it is spelled or spelled out letter by letter? Silly question, I'm sure, but it IS me asking. Hopefully more intelligent questions sure to follow. Thanks!

Mikie

There was a usage of Plt/Sgt at one time, short for Platoon Sergeant which is a title/position and not a rank. Just plain old Pasgt, I've never heard of.

VolunteerArmoury

When I was in the Army it was just a helmet, K-pot, pot, dome, or Kevlar & the vest just called was a Kevlar or flak vest. Id be surprised if any of the folks I served with knew what PASGT was. I simply sound out the letters or refer to it was how we did when I was in.

Like many Army acronyms, that one might have been used in written documents, but not by average Soldiers. We just called it a helmet. Infrequently I heard some refer to it as a “K-pot”. It was the only version in use, so there was no need to distinguish it by such a specific reference, much less an awkward acronym.

I was at Fort Bragg when I got my PASGT helmet. We never called it by that acronym, and it wasn't until I started going on this forum about 7 years ago that I even knew that PASGT meant. We just called it Kevlar helmet, and the vests (worn during Desert Storm) were simply flak vests.

I believe the Marines just call it a "kevlar." A couple of young Marines from nearby Camp Pendleton once stopped by my flea market booth and were intrigued by my M1 helmet, or - as one of the Marines called it - "a steel kevlar." To him any helmet was a "kevlar."

I don't think anyone has ever pronounced PASGT outloud: in my head I always see it as, "P-A sergeant."

milsurp_scout_14

I've always just said P-A-S-J-U-T as one awkward syllable...I think that just generated from my brain though. Never heard anyone else actually say it.

I was at Fort Bragg when I got my PASGT helmet. We never called it by that acronym, and it wasn't until I started going on this forum about 7 years ago that I even knew that PASGT meant. We just called it Kevlar helmet, and the vests (worn during Desert Storm) were simply flak vests.

Ditto. Never heard it called anything but a Kevlar until I heard collectors discussing it.

VolunteerArmoury

Went I last deployed I was told to take a new helmet. This was in 2010 but I was in TRADOC land so I kept using a k-pot or PASGT with a ACU cover & an updated chinstrap suspension. All of the newer helmets no matter an ACH or MICH I heard called an ACH or most commonly a Mitch or just helmet regardless of what it actually was.

Ha! Thanks for all the replies. They made my day. As a student of history and implements of destruction, I am always thrilled to hear this kind of stuff from those of you who help make history and use those implements. As a casual collector just getting my feet wet on the subject, I was afraid of looking foolish refering to the helmets as "pasgt" or "p a s g t". Guess it's nothing to worry about. Heaven knows there are plenty of other ways I can manage to look foolish. Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Mikie

Retired Army Noncom

Ha! Thanks for all the replies. They made my day. As a student of history and implements of destruction, I am always thrilled to hear this kind of stuff from those of you who help make history and use those implements. As a casual collector just getting my feet wet on the subject, I was afraid of looking foolish refering to the helmets as "pasgt" or "p a s g t". Guess it's nothing to worry about. Heaven knows there are plenty of other ways I can manage to look foolish. Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Mikie

In comparison....a few things I'd miss if I had to wear one, I couldn't cook in it, heat water using C-4 to shave in, can't sit it on the back of my head, doesn't have the form on my arse to sit in it easy when mud is four inches deep.....the list goes on and on. Stick with the steel pots lad, there's more History in dem der steal pots!!! :D

Hahahaha, uhhh?

In comparison....a few things I'd miss if I had to wear one, I couldn't cook in it, heat water using C-4 to shave in, can't sit it on the back of my head, doesn't have the form on my arse to sit in it easy when mud is four inches deep.....the list goes on and on. Stick with the steel pots lad, there's more History in dem der steal pots!!! :D

Same, In the Marines we always called them Kevlars, In the Army it was a mix, some of the guys called them Kevlars, while others called them ACHs or MICH helmets.

Ray

When I was in the Army it was just a helmet, K-pot, pot, dome, or Kevlar & the vest just called was a Kevlar or flak vest. Id be surprised if any of the folks I served with knew what PASGT was. I simply sound out the letters or refer to it was how we did when I was in.

+1