josegarcia8578

Uniform Display Help - Advice for picking a display form

I've had some luck with buying adult sized styrofoam heads on ebay that come from China. They're covered with a black felt flocking that I think makes them look much better than just a stark white head and also protects against the foam degrading and sticking to the helmet or hat that's sitting on it. They're usually about $20 for four of them.

Rick

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2017.gif

Collector of WWII M-1helmets and WWII Airborne items

MP,

If you look on ebay, most sellers list the dimensions of their heads they offer. Also note that some of those heads look different from others, as in differing facial features and the like.

I mount these styro heads to fiberglass torsos. I use the smaller heads for smaller torsos and larger for larger torsos, which looks better than having the same size head on both large and small torsos. Of course, the size of headgear determines what heads I purchase. I l also cover the heads with 2 layers of black opaque woman's leggings.

Here is an example of a large torso (left) with a large head posed next to a smaller torso with a smaller head....

post-92682-0-28334200-1450880100.jpg

In Memoriam

My Father, Henry W. Milton, USAAF, Burma, 1943-1945, Lost May 2, 2017

My Grandfather, Nathan Hale, US Navy, USS Rhode Island, 1915-1918, Lost 1968

My 3X Great Grandfather, Sgt. Frederick Hale, 55th New York,

wounded and captured at Malvern Hill, July 1, 1862, died as Prisoner of War, Richmond, July 24, 1862

Anyone try spray painting the white Styrofoam head with a flesh tone color? My concern is that the paint will transfer to the headgear.

I doubt spraypaint would adhere to styrofoam, but a guy I know used flesh-toned latex to paint these heads to display (modern civilian) headwear in his shop.

Money can't buy happiness -- but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than in a Yugo.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Hi,

I bought mine on ebay.com, in the States, because I could only find the ones I like in the US.

I'm sure that if you keep looking you'll come across some very nice heads on there.

Good luck,

Ken

donation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

"The battle belonged that morning to the thin wet line of khaki that dragged itself ashore on the channel coast of France." - General Omar Bradley.

What about stretching a flesh tone nylon stocking over the head?

I'm told teenager size works best for WWII and prior smalls.

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I have used teenager forms and them fill them out with plastic bags.

My hobby is my job and my job is my hobby. High School and University History Instructor

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

these are great, French based but his brother has a US outlet that is based your side of the pond, these are specifically designed for WW1 and WW2 uniforms and have great faces and hands. The bonus is they are cheap!!

http://www.historiamannequin.com

Some of my WW2 collection on them,please excuse the non-US focus, my SOG collection is mainly on torso mannequins

IMG_2566.jpg

IMG_2549.jpg

Paul Bishop

----------------

http://www.modernforces.com

MACV-SOG Living History Group

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell

donation2013.gif

I can definitely second what Paul has said. Francis' mannequins are superb, and I have never been disappointed with the production. The new models are particularly realistic, and the hands are also made from thermoplastic which be used to form different finger positions, etc. His Brother trades in the US under the name "Yanks Mannequins LLC":

https://yanksmannequins.com/en/

Cheers,

Ben.

I'll third it on the Yanks mannequins. This is my one mannequin and it's a Yanks. Well worth it.

post-68384-0-26288100-1456110050.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Now that I have a house big enough to set up my "mini" man cave again I am having a small issue. I used to buy inexpensive plastic injection molded busts from "easybuy2all" on Ebay for less than $30 each delivered. These were great because shoulder to shoulder they only measure about 19" across, thus fitting most of my uniforms that I wanted to display. Now that I am breaking the collection out of totes again I go on Ebay and see that this seller is apparently out of business. The torsos were great in that they were either free standing on the bottom of the thigh, or could be put on a rod to gain height. Anyone have any ideas on what I could do to add some torsos (don't need full size/length) that are not going to cost me an arm and a leg (pun intended!)?

Thanks all,

Brian

Always looking for 325th G.I.R. and WWII USMC items!
donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I search second hand sites every now and then for used mannequins or torsos, maybe see if a retail supply company is near you, we have a local place thats all used displays from stores. Check local facebook sales or craigslist. Might find something you can use. Bill

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

Deputy Curator @ http://www.themilitarymuseumofnorthflorida.com/

Looking for medals for the following groupings:

2nd Lt Victor P. Mangano KIA 6 Feb 1945 Engineers

Pvt First Class Ashur A. Handel KIA 14 Dec 1944 78th Div

Cmdr Bruce Nystrom KIA 2 Dec 1966

just google Mannequin's there's a lot of option's out there, Display forms ....

Pvt. James H. Honey 1st Md. Eastern shore Vol. Inf. Co. D (union) Gettysburg
Pvt. George Eddie Lear 26th Inf. Co.H 1st Div .(WW1) P.H. WIA Cpl. Richard Elsea 268th C.A. Bn. Battery A. WW2 SSgt. Grant Elsea 314th Inf. Hq.Co. I.R.79thDiv. WW2
Cpl. Harry Lawrence Butler Jr 23rd Regt. WIA Korea Lt. George Olin Tilghman 111th MG. 29th Div. WW1 DIS France 1919
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Amazon has quite a few torso mannequins with stands in the $30-40 range with free shipping.

Thanks for the replies all.....Jason T, I looked online (Amazon, Google, etc.) and most are 20"+ on the shoulder to shoulder size which is stretching it for some of my uniforms that I want to display. Thanks for the input all, just trying to figure out what it is that will work for what I have. Again, thanks again. Was hoping that Easybuy2all was still on Ebay with a different name. Happy Holidays to all out there reading this on this awesome forum!

Forgot to add that I want free standing, not hanging busts.....

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Brian,

Merry Christmas my friend..

Check out Webster's Mannequins from Battle Creek Michigan. He has half mannequins, they are a little more pricey now from when I purchased them some years back, but they are free standing torso mannequins with an adjustable PVC pole. I have 60 of them and they work great.You may also be able to make a deal with him and he may reduce the price on bulk orders. If I remember he gave me free shipping since I ordered so many from him..

He is also on Ebay: msuedisplay

Best of luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.. Happy New Year too!!

Leigh

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Brian,

Merry Christmas my friend..

Check out Webster's Mannequins from Battle Creek Michigan. He has half mannequins, they are a little more pricey now from when I purchased them some years back, but they are free standing torso mannequins with an adjustable PVC pole. I have 60 of them and they work great.You may also be able to make a deal with him and he may reduce the price on bulk orders. If I remember he gave me free shipping since I ordered so many from him..

He is also on Ebay: msuedisplay

Best of luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.. Happy New Year too!!

Leigh

Thanks Leigh. Hope you had a very Merry Christmas and a blessed and healthy New Year as well! I will check out your lead.

Hi

I buy busts made of polystyrene, they are too large in size but they can be cut down to size using a knife. Once the cotton outer is put back over the top you would never know. I been buying them off EBay for about 30 GBP, which would be about $50.

Regards

Tom

THE OVERLORD COLLECTION

a virtual museum at theoverlordcollection.co.uk

www.m-1helmets.co.uk

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif