josegarcia8578

Uniform Display Help - Advice for picking a display form

I modified my websters torso to make it sit higher and more sturdy. Is simple to do too. Mannequin Maven on e-bay sells the stands. I took a approx 3/4 iron rod purchased at Hompe Depot and slid it into the mannequin quite a ways and tightened the set screw. Wrapped the bottom of the exposed rod with foam pipe insulation and force fitted it into the tripod stand I got from mannequin maven. Here is the result. No wobble, and is solid as a rock. It's the center mannequin holding my Grandfather's WW1 uniform. Have since put the pogey rope back where it belongs, ha a couple of buttons I had to resew!

John

post-21147-0-78181400-1443571484.jpg

I think the half mannequins look better without the full arms and hands, so the uniform kind of drapes like it's on a hanger.

also takes up less space

I modified my websters torso to make it sit higher and more sturdy. Is simple to do too. Mannequin Maven on e-bay sells the stands. I took a approx 3/4 iron rod purchased at Hompe Depot and slid it into the mannequin quite a ways and tightened the set screw. Wrapped the bottom of the exposed rod with foam pipe insulation and force fitted it into the tripod stand I got from mannequin maven. Here is the result. No wobble, and is solid as a rock. It's the center mannequin holding my Grandfather's WW1 uniform. Have since put the pogey rope back where it belongs, ha a couple of buttons I had to resew!

John

Thanks, John. I'm going to order one of those torsos. My only concern was its height; I will use your modification. Is that the regular stand or deluxe stand?

Cool WW1 3rd ID helmet.

US Army 3rd ID 2nd BCT OIF 2003 Marne Sapper

My two Webster mannequins just had the dowel and wood base which wobbled like anything. Wrap the rod just slightly larger than the inside diameter of the stand pipe and cram it in!

My Grandfather was attached to the 3rd for coming home. He did a ton of pre-embarkation physicals prior to them coming home. He was primarily a surgeon working with the French from late 1917 on, hence the French decorations.

John

My two Webster mannequins just had the dowel and wood base which wobbled like anything. Wrap the rod just slightly larger than the inside diameter of the stand pipe and cram it in!

My Grandfather was attached to the 3rd for coming home. He did a ton of pre-embarkation physicals prior to them coming home. He was primarily a surgeon working with the French from late 1917 on, hence the French decorations.

John

That was my concern...the wobbling. I plan on putting field equipment on the torso. I do like Websters, though I'm also open to other options.

I like the old helmet. I passed on one months ago at a show, but I'll probably buy the 3rd ID helmet next month if I see it again. I wanted to get one from every war they were in, but the WW2 steel pot is waaay out of my price range.

US Army 3rd ID 2nd BCT OIF 2003 Marne Sapper

Just run the rod/wrapping far enough down into the silver pipe. I have the mannequin sitting on top od the silver pipe for extra stability. Should be able to support some weight without wobbling. If I bring another mannequin in here, I'll have to sleep with my eyes open! lol Have 19 of them now!

John

Just run the rod/wrapping far enough down into the silver pipe. I have the mannequin sitting on top od the silver pipe for extra stability. Should be able to support some weight without wobbling. If I bring another mannequin in here, I'll have to sleep with my eyes open! lol Have 19 of them now!

John

really? thats a lot of mannequins in the house, you must have a very big house to have 19 mannequins! the local museum didnt even have that many.

Hope this is ok to post here..here's a display I set up using an $8 male torso and an old floor lamp. All ID'd (save for the cap) to an 8th AAF armorer who served in England and France.

post-104906-0-95515400-1443658946.jpg

Looking to buy US dog tags, any era. Contact me and let me know what you have!

really? thats a lot of mannequins in the house, you must have a very big house to have 19 mannequins! the local museum didnt even have that many.

My club room is 40 feet by 100 feet. And they are kinda packed together tightly along the walls!

John

I'm having great difficulty finding male mannequin heads that are male adult-sized. A quick check online is confusing and shows numerous people with the same complaint.

Can anyone here recommend a good source that sells normal-sized heads? I suppose they don't have to be stryofoam, but I'm on a budget.

donation2010.gif

i personally like glass heads from pier 1 imports... but they arent considered "cheap" by any means... however they look nice!

"America shall win the war. Therefore, I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone." -Martin A. Treptow Jake L.

NO ONE IN HISTORY HAS EVER CHOKED TO DEATH FROM SWALLOWING THEIR PRIDE.

Heaven help me, how I miss my friend

http://www.websterdisplays.com/displayheads.aspx

Webster Displays has some.of the "standard" ones. I think they are like a size 59 in European size. They work well for most things but be careful of long term display as I have had things "melt" into the styrofoam.

Mr.JERRY
Collector of WWI & WWII Home Front Flags, Unit Flags & Guidons,US & German helmets, insignia, uniforms, medals,

Women's Military Uniforms,Wisconsin Vocational School made Fighting Knives.

Military Shop Owner & Dealer in everything else~!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Check out our Facebook page for updates and the latest Shop news!:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-Collectibles-Shop/171226792906875
Visit our website (and visit our shop if you are ever near Milwaukee, WI USA)
http://www.militarycollectorsHQ.com

See what Mr.Jerry has on eBay this week:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mr.jerry/m.html?_ipg=200&_sop=1&_rdc=1

Check Michael's or a similar craft store - they usually have Styrofoam heads for $4-5 each, cheaper with coupons.

Looking for older Virginia Military Institute items: insignia, uniforms, cadet sabers, documents, and groupings belonging to VMI alumni.

Also interested in Virginia Reserve Militia (VRM) uniforms and insignia, or other items of general Virginia interest.

In perusing the net, sellers offer conflicting measurements; on Amazon for instance, there are negative reviews to this effect (e.g., heads will be listed as 22 inches but in reality they're smaller.

Does anyone here have heads that they could measure? The pinheads that I have are about 20 1/2 inches circumference, and that's way too small.

donation2010.gif

my glass head is 21 1/2". there is also the option of buying a glass head for molding your own. i've thought about this myself cause i also couldnt find suitable foam heads. in the end though it worked out better with glass anyway cause there is less chances of it reacting with items like foam does, so i can use it for permanent display of helmets (m1 helmets are not suggested for permanent display on a head). plus the added benefit of looking cool. they even have black and white glass heads. (only clear is available at pier 1 imports)

random pictures using glass heads...

post-125364-0-37084600-1450241699.jpgpost-125364-0-07291500-1450241703.jpg

this is an example of what is permanently kept on one...

post-125364-0-04095700-1450241733.jpg

"America shall win the war. Therefore, I will work. I will save. I will sacrifice. I will endure. I will fight cheerfully and do my utmost, as if the whole issue of the struggle depended on me alone." -Martin A. Treptow Jake L.

NO ONE IN HISTORY HAS EVER CHOKED TO DEATH FROM SWALLOWING THEIR PRIDE.

Heaven help me, how I miss my friend

One thing to watch out for with the Styrofoam ones is that some of the cheaper "white" ones have a bit longer neck, so they get kind of "tippy" with helmets, and they have no bottom hole for a base. Those kind are good for attaching to torsos though.

Mr.JERRY
Collector of WWI & WWII Home Front Flags, Unit Flags & Guidons,US & German helmets, insignia, uniforms, medals,

Women's Military Uniforms,Wisconsin Vocational School made Fighting Knives.

Military Shop Owner & Dealer in everything else~!

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Check out our Facebook page for updates and the latest Shop news!:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Military-Collectibles-Shop/171226792906875
Visit our website (and visit our shop if you are ever near Milwaukee, WI USA)
http://www.militarycollectorsHQ.com

See what Mr.Jerry has on eBay this week:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/mr.jerry/m.html?_ipg=200&_sop=1&_rdc=1

Here's what I believe to be a simple solution.....several photos to follow and mods please overlook the choice of headgear as I chose it only because it shows the fit much better.

First pix is of a plain noggin.

The second pix is after I glue "hair (yarn)" to the noggin.

post-7752-0-76734100-1450594132.jpeg

post-7752-0-80806200-1450594142.jpeg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

These photos show a cap before and after I add the hair.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-66243000-1450594256.jpeg

post-7752-0-46664900-1450594268.jpeg

post-7752-0-94296000-1450594280.jpeg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

These photos show a 50 mission crush before and after.

Ronnie

post-7752-0-79298300-1450594359.jpeg

post-7752-0-30061300-1450594369.jpeg

The bottom pix in post no. 10 shows if you look hard, how I glued yarn going from the right side to the left right at the top of the forehead. I built that area up about a half inch or more. Then I just started gluing pieces of yarn from the front to the back. I use elmers white glue.....I stole from my kids. If you're watching a movie or have nothing to do this is a neat project to overcome the small manniqein heads.

Hope this helps someone.

Ronnie

The bottom pix in post no. 10 shows if you look hard, how I glued yarn going from the right side to the left right at the top of the forehead. I built that area up about a half inch or more. Then I just started gluing pieces of yarn from the front to the back. I use elmers white glue.....I stole from my kids. If you're watching a movie or have nothing to do this is a neat project to overcome the small manniqein heads.

Hope this helps someone.

Ronnie

Thanks for this suggestion - I appreciate the help.

donation2010.gif

You bet. Hope it helps you.

Ronnie

I have the same styrofoam heads that Ronnie posted. His solution looks like a great idea! I do something similar to 'upsize' these styrofoam heads: after Halloween I go to one of those Party Store-type places and buy human-looking latex masks to put on the styrofoam heads. I have also just purchased them from the Internet.

Usually, you can find both the male and the female masks for sale. Besides making the head sizes larger on these mannikins they also add realistic facial features, too.

Another thing that increases realism is to insert glass eyes in the provided cutouts.

Looking for:

1. CIB with M16 instead of 1795 Musket

2. Rarer current era brassards and armbands

Thanks for taking the time to read this!

donation2015.gif donation2016.gif