josegarcia8578

Uniform Display Help - Advice for picking a display form

Good morning guys,

I have everything I need for a display in terms of the equipment I want to display (Haversack, trench coat, web belt etc), But I'm missing a mannequin or a display method because they're pretty expensive. Anyone know what I can do? Or where I can get a mannequin not so expensive one? Or one of those half body mannequins?

Thanks for the help!

-Jose

ASMIC Member #5540

I found 3 vintage clothe covered torso mannequins with no head or legs on craigslist for $20 for all 3. I have thought about building my own with a large base and a simple T structure with maybe a small T on top for a hat.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

Deputy Curator @ http://www.themilitarymuseumofnorthflorida.com/

Looking for medals for the following groupings:

2nd Lt Victor P. Mangano KIA 6 Feb 1945 Engineers

Pvt First Class Ashur A. Handel KIA 14 Dec 1944 78th Div

Cmdr Bruce Nystrom KIA 2 Dec 1966

I agree, search Craigs list. While I have no such luck in finding items like rare uniform groups on CL, I do find mannequins on the cheap. I recently picked these up for $20 each. I had to do a 30 minute drive, but worth it. They are out there.

post-4227-0-67451500-1415389546.jpg

post-4227-0-97270100-1415389535.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I found a local display vendor has 12 new half mannequins case for $119. Might be worth splitting with another collector?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

Deputy Curator @ http://www.themilitarymuseumofnorthflorida.com/

Looking for medals for the following groupings:

2nd Lt Victor P. Mangano KIA 6 Feb 1945 Engineers

Pvt First Class Ashur A. Handel KIA 14 Dec 1944 78th Div

Cmdr Bruce Nystrom KIA 2 Dec 1966

Here's a link to a simplified mannequin I posted earlier this year. You can't hand super heavy stuff, but they're sturdy enough for some basic equipment.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/199665-mannequins-made-easy-peezy/?hl=easy

Mark sends

Mark Conrad, MSgt, USAF (Ret)

"Poor is the nation that has no Heroes...shameful is the one having them that forgets."

The Miami Valley Military History Museum: http://www.mvmhm.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Miami-Valley-Military-History-Museum/111268115594349
Official Partner of the United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration: www.vietnamwar50th.com
Official Partner of the United States of America World War I Centennial: www.worldwar1centennial.org

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Jose, I was in the same boat as I had some web gear sitting around and decided to try and display it. Wasn't really looking to spend a ton of money on the experiment and wound up buying this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mannequin-Black-Pinnable-Male-Torso-with-Arms-/151419360243?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item23414c13f3

Not sure what your budget is but for $60 delivered, it's a really nice and sturdy item. Here's how it looks on my first attempt:

post-68734-0-75347100-1415492052.jpg

Jose,

I presume it depends on what is considered expensive or not.

I get all my half manny's on ebay for approx. $50 each (depending on whether my offer is accepted or not!).

To liven them up I also add a styro head, also purchased from ebay...

Here is an example from my collection:

post-92682-0-14917900-1415724412.jpg

post-92682-0-95889600-1415724548.jpg

In Memoriam

My Father, Henry W. Milton, USAAF, Burma, 1943-1945, Lost May 2, 2017

My Grandfather, Nathan Hale, US Navy, USS Rhode Island, 1915-1918, Lost 1968

My 3X Great Grandfather, Sgt. Frederick Hale, 55th New York,

wounded and captured at Malvern Hill, July 1, 1862, died as Prisoner of War, Richmond, July 24, 1862

This may not be the style you are looking for but it is certainly cheap. You take a large, strong plastic bag and fill that up with those styrofoam packing peanuts or just old newspapers. You then take a sturdy wooden clotheshanger and hang the stuffed plastic bag in the middle (from the hook). You then take the uniform you want to display, put the hanger & bag combination in it and close the shirt/coat. This will fill the clothing nicely and allows you to hang the set from a hook on the wall. You can even put equipment on it, providing the clotheshanger can take it. It will give a neat appeareance, without sagging in. I have used this method on the setup below:

post-80-0-54948200-1415730678.jpg

Money can't buy happiness -- but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Corvette than in a Yugo.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I recently bought a WW1 Uniform grouping and was hoping to display it. I've been looking actively and haven't been able to find a small enough mannequin for the tunic. I was hoping to be able to display it all, has anyone else encountered this problem? If so what did you do?

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gif

Yeh, WWI uniforms are very difficult to fit on a standard mannequin. You will probably have to keep an eye out for a store mannequin for teenagers or young adults.

Always looking for named items from Detroit area Vets!

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Webster Display's has "Medium" and "Small" half mannequins. Their mannequins are named and the small ones are called "Robert" and "Henry". They are not totally inexpensive ($195) but are Ok if you have a smaller uniform. The stands are a bit weak and sometimes have a tendency to tip over. I usually reinforce them with a dowel. You can find their site by googling Webster Displays. Give them a call Re:sizes. Hope this might help.

Paul

Always looking for 4th Fighter Group and 490th Bomb Group items.

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2020.gif

Anyone have experience cutting down Mannequins? I've also heard of people buying female ones then padding above and below the breasts to make it more masculine, anyone ever try that? The only concern I have about that is the neck.

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gif

I bought a teen mannequin and most of my uniforms fit it. I've had as small as a 34r jacket on it.

Where could I find one of those?

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gif

Lay them folded at the base of your mannequin....that way you dont have to get anything special

Actively collecting:

13th USAAF uniforms and groups/medal groups!

307th BG, 5th BG, 11th BG, 42nd BG

Also looking for:

WWII Far East Air Force uniforms/groups!

Any Pacific Army Air Force Groups to 5th, 7th, 10th, 14th, 20th AAF

Collecting CBI and ATC Pacific Army Air Force groups

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

USMF's custom photo resize tool:http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/229816-custom-resize-tool-exclusively-for-the-usmf/

Check out TrenchRat's thread post #127 where he gives a link to how he builds his mannequins for WWI uniform displays. Museum quality stuff and not too expensive. I agree with just folding up the breeches next to the torso.

Check out TrenchRat's thread post #127 where he gives a link to how he builds his mannequins for WWI uniform displays. Museum quality stuff and not too expensive. I agree with just folding up the breeches next to the torso.

FYI, this is the end result of a female torso padded and dressed.

You may notice that a 3-button shirt is under the cotton coat. This torso is also fitted with a smaller head to accommodate the smaller 1911 hat...

It is a very handy way to display those real small uniform coats without butchering a larger size 38 mannequin as I do for those size 37 coats I have...

TR

post-92682-0-32613800-1422553185.jpg

In Memoriam

wounded and captured at Malvern Hill, July 1, 1862, died as Prisoner of War, Richmond, July 24, 1862

Here is another figure made the same as the last. You can see here that the female "form" in not noticeable...

post-92682-0-99911500-1422554078.jpg

In Memoriam

Hello all. I have been trying to figure out a good option to display coats and hats on a compact mannequin, and I think I have found one. This particular form is for a reasonably sized adult male, and it features a removable head, arms and hands. The dimensions shown would fit the smaller stature uniforms from WWI and before. It comes on an adjustable stand as well. I think if you were to set it up off the floor with a wooden box or something like that there should be plenty of room for longer dress jackets. I don't think it would be long enough to work for Ike jackets, but I haven't bought one so I can't be sure on that.

Here is the link for what I found the best price thus far: http://www.displayimporter.com/products/MN-247.html

I may buy one in the near future and I'll be able to provide a better assessment. If you need a female form like this, the company sells those as well.

WANTED: I collect materials of any age related to the US Army Quartermaster Corps and from the long-defunct Commissary / Subsistence Corps. Anything goes and it doesn't have to be identified to a vet. If it's weird or unusual, please PM me! ASMIC #5650

Super - I like the looks of it - appreciate the lead!

And I looked, and Behold a Pale Horse:

And his name that sat upon him was death,

and Hell followed with him.

Revelation Chapter 6, verse 8

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Looks like a decent product but the shipping is killer... I can get a Webster's torso delivered for $59.00. It costs me $4.00 more to upgrade the base and pole to be sturdier and look nicer. So, while they don't come with a head, I can make do and have always been pleased with Webster's service. Scott.

donation2013.gif

Looks like a decent product but the shipping is killer... I can get a Webster's torso delivered for $59.00. It costs me $4.00 more to upgrade the base and pole to be sturdier and look nicer. So, while they don't come with a head, I can make do and have always been pleased with Webster's service. Scott.

I agree, that shipping cost is crazy!!

- Shawn

donation2015.gif

Looking for:

WWII Numbered Army Good Conduct Medals

WWII Numbered Soldiers Medal

WWI Purple Heart Named to Gordon B Knowles 2nd LT E CO. 26th Inf 1st Div

Thats very similar to a Dept Store display mannequin, heavy duty , I like the featureless face

Scott, I'm glad you mentioned Websters. Would you happen to have a torso form? I just wanted to know how high up the torso is from the floor; I'm looking to put a uniform and equipment on one if it's high enough. Thanks.

US Army 3rd ID 2nd BCT OIF 2003 Marne Sapper