Cheap 9x12 frames

avigo

I have a large collection of 9x12 military prints I want to frame.

At least 25.

I can't afford custom matting and framing.

I just want to somewhat protect them so I can display (that isn't just a sleeve or something)

I know UV etc is ideal. but doubt I can afford that.

But is there a cheap option out there that is archival that I could display them?

Thanks!

Have you thought about putting them in a photo album? They make ones that will hold large prints.

...Kat

Yeah, that's an option. But I'd really like to hang some on the wall and display

It really depends on whether you want to preserve and display them, or just display. "Archival" is a sweeping term that encompasses a lot of variables beyond UV light exposure - including, but not limited to, temperature, humidity, and contact materials. The latter can be addressed fairly inexpensively by backing the prints with acid-free paper. This is available at many craft stores.

There will certainly be other opinions, but as long as they aren't getting consistent direct sunlight, I wouldn't lose sleep on the UV bit. If these prints do deserve UV protection, I might recommend considering the light source(s) versus the frames ("destination"). There are companies that make UV film that you can put on the inside of your windows, that block nearly all of both types of UV light - UVa being the tricky one. That would be a lot cheaper than buying archival glass for 25 frames. You can generally find 3 x 6 foot rolls of UV film for around $20. Some folks get anxious over light bulbs too, but if you read the research on UV emission by bulb type, I struggle to worry about it.

Good luck.

It really depends on whether you want to preserve and display them, or just display. "Archival" is a sweeping term that encompasses a lot of variables beyond UV light exposure - including, but not limited to, temperature, humidity, and contact materials. The latter can be addressed fairly inexpensively by backing the prints with acid-free paper. This is available at many craft stores.

There will certainly be other opinions, but as long as they aren't getting consistent direct sunlight, I wouldn't lose sleep on the UV bit. If these prints do deserve UV protection, I might recommend considering the light source(s) versus the frames ("destination"). There are companies that make UV film that you can put on the inside of your windows, that block nearly all of both types of UV light - UVa being the tricky one. That would be a lot cheaper than buying archival glass for 25 frames. You can generally find 3 x 6 foot rolls of UV film for around $20. Some folks get anxious over light bulbs too, but if you read the research on UV emission by bulb type, I struggle to worry about it.

Good luck.

Thanks so much!

I'm not super worried about the UV part. More about non archival paper or mats.

Could I back with archival paper and frame in a frame without a mat or would a mat be necessary?

goodwill, salvation army, st. vincet de paul?

I don't think goodwill will have 25+ of the same 9x12 frame.

I wish they did though!

Will it damage the print or cause humidity problems if it's in a frame where it bumps up against the glass? It looks like those frames it would do that.

I mean, I guess storing it in a sleeve or rigid protector it is also bumping up against the material

In the off chance any humidity gets between the glass and print, it would be good to have space between the two. It doesn't take a lot of moisture to get a document to stick to glass. There are multiple methods of doing so. Conventional mat is one. You can also use archival foam core with spacers to 'float' a piece as well.

Thanks so much!

I'm not super worried about the UV part. More about non archival paper or mats.

Could I back with archival paper and frame in a frame without a mat or would a mat be necessary?