Show your original WW2 photos featuring Trucks or non 'jeep' vehicles

78CARg

Lastly are some from a photo album I bought on eBay. The album contains 60 pictures taken on the island of Attu, Alaska.

The caption on the back of this one reads "Me in big bertha our bulldozer"

post-20595-0-07842200-1394653958.jpg

Salvage Sailor

These photos are all a bit rough as they've been through a fire and also suffered water damage.

Naval Communications Unit Three (NCU-3) Radio Marina (Asmara) Eritrea G7105 panel truck

This is their Utility Vehicle, used to get out into the antenna sites.

Note the antenna atop the vehicle, the generator power cable and the canteens.

NCU 3 005.jpg

USN Utility Vehicle upcountry - NCU Three with subdued star

NCU 3 002a.jpg

NCU 3 009a.jpg

And the nice thing about the Navy providing these sailors with four wheel drives and Springfields?

Photo: 3 men from NCU-3 acquiring information from Eritreans (note dagger, knife, and Ethiopian tin can on fender)

NCU 3 007.jpg

They could keep up with the Ostriches and hunt on the way back to Radio Marina.

Photos: Note the Ostrich feathers on their heads, each one a kill

NCU 3 002.jpg

NCU 3 003.jpg

Naval Communications Unit Three (NCU-3) Radio Marina (Asmara) Eritrea, always told to be on guard for 'Shifta' attacks

And the results of not heeding the warnings

NCU 3 013.jpg

This supply vehicle was ambushed on a causeway, no where to go when the lead started flying

NCU 3 011.jpg

Shifta bandits were serious business, many being ex-Askari troopers from the defeated Italian fascist Army who still retained their weapons in the hills.

Another view - don't know if anyone can identify the truck-trailer combination.

NCU 3 012.jpg

The Army wrecker/recovery vehicle sent up from either Asmara, Gura or Massawa.

NCU 3 014.jpg

Last one for now, another Ostrich bites the Eritrean dust

NCU 3 008.jpg

NCU 3 009.jpg

USN Utility Vehicle upcountry - NCU Three with subdued star

Outstanding images of what appear to be a G7105/G7107 panel truck--this is a rare bird and difficult to find good period photos. The G7105, though, had a spare tire carrier mounted behind the driver's door, so i am not quite certain this is what the truck is. I have attached the only period image I have in my files of G7105s.

post-949-0-42445700-1395149495.jpg

Keep 'em rolling,

John

(Editor, Military Vehicles Magazine and Military Trader)

Salvage Sailor

Thanks for posting that one John,

On the center vehicle you can see the cable reel mounted on the left side panel. If you scroll up to my photo, you can see the mounting point and the travelling hook to secure the reel so it won't spin.

The sailor with the dagger and standing with the ostrich is my father, the LPO (Leading Petty Officer) of NCU-3. Besides the photos (and many more) I also have his USN drivers license issued by NCU-3.

Photo: Naval Communications Unit Three at "quarters" outside their barracks, Radio Marina, Asmara, Eritrea.

IMG_1086.jpg

Thanks for posting that one John,

On the center vehicle you can see the cable reel mounted on the left side panel. If you scroll up to my photo (post #52), you can see the mounting point and the travelling hook to secure the reel so it won't spin.

The sailor with the dagger (post #42) and standing in post #43 is my father, the LPO (Leading Petty Officer) of NCU-3. Besides the photos (and many more) I also have his USN drivers license issued by NCU-3.

Photo: Naval Communications Unit Three at "quarters" outside their barracks, Radio Marina, Asmara, Ethiopia.

Outstanding photos, Salvage Sailor! Yes, I now see the post for the spare tire! Great images. THanks again for posting these.

My dad took these pictures on May 4, 1945 while serving as a rifleman in Company L, 359th Infantry Regiment, 90th Infantry Division. They were taken in Czechoslovakia during the surrender of the 11th Panzer Division to the 90th.

The first is what appears to be a WC51 3/4 ton truck that was captured by the Germans then used by them. My dad said it was being used as a medical evacuation vehicle and the markings are large red crosses and a red cross flag.

post-1496-0-65217300-1395688802.jpg

This is the second picture he took during the surrender. Its of a surrendering German half track (Sd. Kfz. 251,I believe) in the foreground and in the background, rather nonchalantly, stand a group of GIs with a 2 1/2 ton truck and trailer. It appears to perhaps be a GM CCKW -- does that sound right? I'm posting the full picture and then a weak attempt at a close up.

Dennis

post-1496-0-77502800-1395689346.jpg

• 1 year later...
Manchu Warrior

I found this photo at the flea market yesterday and I know its not of a vehicle. But, I figured if you start getting heavy traffic on this thread that possibly he can help out.

post-1412-0-06322000-1428263608.jpg

I found this photo at the flea market yesterday and I know its not of a vehicle. But, I figured if you start getting heavy traffic on this thread that possibly he can help out.

attachicon.gifpic day 002.jpg

Reminds me of those North-Korean traffic cops :rolleyes:

A vehicle of sorts. September 1943 on Oahu.

attachicon.gifSept 43 copy.jpg

That's actually a pretty special piece of kit!

• 2 years later...
Buffalo Grunt

post-3866-0-12634100-1511978803_thumb.jpg

My uncle, Edward Shook .. The picture is not the best, but it's all we have .. I've tried to research this, with little luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this was taken at the Siegfried Line, or something similar ....

He was with B Company, 713th MP Battalion when he was discharged, but this was prior to, as he had three battle stars (NAPLES-FOGGIA, ROME-ARNO, and NORTHERN FRANCE)

Again, any help would be appreciated on Model, markings, etc.

Don

Buffalo Grunt

attachicon.gifEdShook.jpg

My uncle, Edward Shook .. The picture is not the best, but it's all we have .. I've tried to research this, with little luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if this was taken at the Siegfried Line, or something similar ....

He was with B Company, 713th MP Battalion when he was discharged, but this was prior to, as he had three battle stars (NAPLES-FOGGIA, ROME-ARNO, and NORTHERN FRANCE)

Again, any help would be appreciated on Model, markings, etc.

Don

post-3866-0-14606400-1511979782_thumb.jpg

This sure looks like the gate in my uncles photo ....

• 2 years later...