• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

M1910 Haversacks

This is my favorite pack. A 1st pattern M1910 haversack. I bought it months ago and have just recently found 2 lace-on mess kit pouches for it. I haven't found the tails for it yet.

post-137-1167519166.jpg

I'm always looking to buy old sets of bagpipes

• 3 weeks later...

This second one is even more strange. It has 4 bedroll straps added that have several snaps on one end for adjustment. The strap material looks like something the AAF would have on hand. Both haversack are WW1 dated.

MVC_079F.JPG

MVC_080F.JPG

MVC_081F.JPG

MVC_082F.JPG

donation2017.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 1 month later...

This 1st pattern M1910 haversack is the RIA version, dated 1914. Compare the differences b/w this one and the Mills haversack. The meatcan pouch to this haversack is secured with a tack button.

The first pattern haversack is easily distinguished by the web trimmed suspenders, small, oval-shaped meatcan pouch which is secured to the haversack with leather laces and grommets.

post-599-1171910464.jpg

post-599-1171910491.jpg

post-599-1171910697.jpg

Frankie G.

Check out my US World War I Site,

http://www.aef-doughboys.com

The 2nd pattern haversack began production in 1914, the early variations being a light olive green vs. the post 1916 drab ( khaki). Gone were the distinctive web trimmed suspenders and small meatcan pouch of the 1st pattern haversack.

The suspenders of the 2nd pattern were made of a heavier web and were adjusted using the simplified strap and buckle. The meatcan pouch was now larger, square in shape and featured slots inside for the knife, fork, and spoon. The meatcan pouch was aslo secured to the haversack using two web straps and four brass rings, so familiar to us collectors.

Two RIA, 1915 haversacks are seen here, variations of the back sides shown. One haversack has sqaureshaped tabs on the end of straps and the other has rounded tabs. Also note the khaki suspenders on an olive green haversack in the third photo.

post-599-1171911469.jpg

post-599-1171911484.jpg

Frankie G.

Various wartime manufactured haversacks are pictured here, illustrating the variety of drab shades. Manufacturers and dates from left to right, RIA 1917; Simmons 1917; Simmons March 1918; P.B. & C. 4-18; P.B. & C. 1918; and L.C.C. & Co. 10-18.

I also have a Russell, 1917 haversack which is not pictured here. This haversack is a dull light brown.

post-599-1171911931.jpg

Frankie G.

Finally we have the USMC's version of the haversack which is identified by the lack of the US on the flap, the tabs on the end of the straps are sqaure-shaped, and the haversack is marked in many places with the original Marine owner's name, G. Loring. The meatcan pouch is marked M. Bornstein. Most USMC haversacks were marked "USMC" though this haversack lacks it, most likely washed out.

Some haversacks can be found with a "third eyelet" where the bayonet grommets are. Perhaps, Greg- Marine Kabar can post some of his haversacks.

post-599-1171912525.jpg

post-599-1171912539.jpg

Frankie G.

What are the latest stamped M1910's you know of? Of all the M28's I've had the earliest dated one is 1941, is that the start of manufacture, or were all the early ones used up? Sorry to go a bit off topic as I've never seen a "inter war dated" M1910 or M1928.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/61663-forum-member-bilkos-dave-death-reported/

The USMC version of the Model of 1910 haversack will typically be this distinctive tan color although some were a dark green color. Hardware will always be cast bronze buckles and square end tabs on the straps. Note the format of the name stamps and the 3rd grommet on the bayonet tab. Nobody seems to be able to come up with a good reason for doing this. "USMC" markings, if they exist and are legible, will be on the inside rear. But the definitive feature for ID'ing these is that 3rd grommet.

post-4-1171917615.jpg

post-4-1171917717.jpg

post-4-1171917770.jpg

Greg Robinson "marine-kabar"

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/106069-rip-greg-robinson/

I've never seen the 2nd Pattern haversacks dated later than 1918. Because so many were made in 1917 and 1918 there was probably no need to make any during the interwar years. But I think I recall someone mentioning that the USMC haversacks were made through the 1930's.

As for the M1928, the earliest I've seen is also dated 1941.

Frankie G.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Hello Gents

I like this WWI photo very much. Would not you like to comment the haversacks on these US soldiers?

Best regards :)

Greg

Greg is that some kind of insertion to haver? i think i saw that kind of stuff on pics from pacific, is it possible?

header.jpg
Greg is that some kind of insertion to haver? i think i saw that kind of stuff on pics from pacific, is it possible?

Hi Kloo ;)

Frankly speaking I have never seen WWII PTO-based marine equipped with haversack and such a long cocoon. Perhaps other colleagues will help?

Best regards

Greg

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

That is the standard pack extender used when carrying the full bed roll. The man in the first pic has an unusually large bed roll that extends beyond the pack extender. You can see the extender behind the bed roll. The second man has the extender in the normal, intended position.

As for WW2 these extenders were still used and I'm sure you can find pics of the army using them in all theaters. As for the Marines in the Pacific it will probably be harder to find them in use. The M1941 pack system replaced these M1910 / 28 packs fairly early in the war.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER, SADLY, HAS PASSED AWAY

• 1 year later...
The USMC version of the Model of 1910 haversack will typically be this distinctive tan color although some were a dark green color. Hardware will always be cast bronze buckles and square end tabs on the straps. Note the format of the name stamps and the 3rd grommet on the bayonet tab. Nobody seems to be able to come up with a good reason for doing this. "USMC" markings, if they exist and are legible, will be on the inside rear. But the definitive feature for ID'ing these is that 3rd grommet.

post-4-1171917615.jpg

post-4-1171917717.jpg

post-4-1171917770.jpg

Bonsoir greg ;)

I think the presence of the three eyes is for the correct positioning of the bayonet when the bag is full to bursting. The scabbard of it not coming in from the lower maintenance of the bag.

M10 The hook is passed, either in the left eye and center or in the right eye and the center.

Here is my analysis.

regars solcarlus.

• 1 year later...

Here is a pair of M1910 Marine Corps Packs with matching Carriers (the Belt is a "Mills" made in 1919); the only marks on these 2 Packs are under the flaps of the Meatcan Pouches. One is the well-known mustard-O.D. used so much in 782 Gear, the other is the pea-green canvas such as is seen in the first-issue Jungle Packs...

post-3226-1280634606.jpg

Support our troops...abandoning the War on Terror is not an affordable luxury.

I'm so old, I still call W.W.II U.S. militaria "war surplus".

God's blessings in the Name of our Lord Jesus- Jim Robertson

Opened up, with name stamps visible...

post-3226-1280635081.jpg

Marks under one of the flaps:

QUARTERMASTER'S DEPOT

U.S. MARINE CORPS

1941-1942

post-3226-1280635206.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.