Mexican-American War Uniform Mold? It's interesting, but confusing...

soccersaver97

Hi guys,

I recently acquired an interesting uniform-related piece. It is made of some sort of plaster or ceramic with wood inlays. The person I bought it from said that the style was probably from the Mexican American war. The piece definitely has some age to it, so it's possible that this was used as some sort of mold. However, I really am not too sure about it. It has the the following text on the front: "78" and "U.S.W". There is also an eagle above the U.S.W.

Any help on this piece would be greatly appreciated!

post-159909-0-44718400-1513810743.jpg

post-159909-0-30788600-1513810753.jpg

post-159909-0-23247700-1513810779_thumb.jpg

soccersaver97

Hi guys,

I posted this on the uniforms sub-topic, but figured I would ask here too. I recently acquired this plaster/ceramic mold that appears to have been used for the making of a uniform. I was told that the style dates to the Mexican-American war, but this is not my area of expertise. Let me know your thoughts! Do you think it was used to make uniforms and does Mexican-American war make sense for this piece?

There is "78" and "U.S.W." on the front of the piece. There is also an eagle above the USW. The piece has some wood inlays on the shoulder area and a small piece in the back. It definitely has some age to it.

post-159909-0-52554100-1513810959.jpg
post-159909-0-44718400-1513810743.jpg
post-159909-0-30788600-1513810753.jpg
post-159909-0-23247700-1513810779_thumb.jpg
post-159909-0-20724400-1513810974_thumb.jpg

soccersaver97

It might be a hat mold.

I think that is definitely a possibility. It is just interesting that they would chose to decorate the piece when it wouldn't be necessary for making a hat.

I'm no expert on 19th Century military hats, but I don't think the US issued felted hats with the eagle molded into them. It's a puzzle for sure. How big is this thing?

soccersaver97

I'm no expert on 19th Century military hats, but I don't think the US issued felted hats with the eagle molded into them. It's a puzzle for sure. How big is this thing?

Its about 12" front to back and 11" shoulder to shoulder and 9" tall. Weighs about 7.5 pounds. I did a search for some Mexican-American war hats that sold at auction and found the same eagle design impressed into leather on one of the hats.

soccersaver97

Its about 12" front to back and 11" shoulder to shoulder and 9" tall. Weighs about 7.5 pounds. I did a search for some Mexican-American war hats that sold at auction and found the same eagle design impressed into leather on one of the hats.

should say: "impressed into brass*"

soccersaver97

That's a small hat.

I found some examples of hats that sold. They appear to come in several shapes and sizes:

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/model-1839-mexican-war-officer-s-forage-cap-attributed-to-william-wallace-bliss-173716

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/mexican-war-era-felt-tar-bucket-hat-38727

https://www.cowanauctions.com/lot/u-s-leather-militia-bell-shako-108383

I even found some felt hats from that time period, but I'm not certain those were used for the war.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect an old topic. It looks like a form not a mold. The hat body has already been put together and they are using the form as a cut out for the brim. The wooden pieces are where a needle or tack would be inserted to hold the cloth or whatever material down. The eagle is there not to press in the emblem but to show front from back (I think to press the actual form would need pressure and two pieces, not a piece of plaster).