US Merchant Marine Expeditionary Medal

hink441

Thanks,

I think it is a very attractive medal, not too busy.

I have read this medal was first awarded during Desert Shield/Storm, and has also been awarded during the Global War on Terrorism.

Chris

Interesting that the mini is included.....don't think I have seen this before?

Not in the least uncommon for the mini to be present! These sets sell pretty regularly on ebay!

Not in the least uncommon for the mini to be present! These sets sell pretty regularly on ebay!

You are right, they are all over eBay. I guess they are not special after all LOL !!!!

Oh well, not much money spent on this one.

Chris

• 7 months later...
SemperParatus

Although this is a fairly easy medal to come by, try and find one with the award card or papers to back up the award. I would say the same for any and all of the various medals awarded to the Maritime Service. Another award that a fair number of Merchant Mariners qualified for is the Antarctic Service Medal, yet finding a recipient is difficult.

• 3 years later...
ShooterMcGavin

These medals are still awarded. Anyone with service aboard a U.S. flag merchant ship in-theater with MSP cargo or any Military Sealift Command vessel in-theater during the Gulf and/or Iraq Wars earned these. Never seen anyone wear it, more a decorative piece with a plaque to hang at home. 

I like Merchant Navy awards as well....I  wonder why the Combat Bar, Gallant Ship Ribbon etc weren't awarded for running the gauntlet of Somali pirates and the like?