WWI Victory Ribbon Bar

Outtair

​I recently got a WWI 26th Division medal group, unfortunately the WWI Victory Medal is missing. But the good news is I got the WWI Victory Ribbon. My question is the star is dull, is this normal for a silver star. My understanding is being awarded a 5 bar clasp for different actions meant you rated the star on your ribbon. In case you can see on photo the ribbon is marked: The Art Medal Wo Newark, N.J.

Thanks for your opinions and knowledge.

post-12381-0-67619900-1513717489_thumb.jpgpost-12381-0-40891800-1513717512_thumb.jpg

You may want to check his service record - I bought a similar group with a 5 bar Victory - When I did the research I found out he was only authorized the DS clasp since he was pulled off the line to teach at the Machine Gun school - found out later that the seller had added the 5 bar Victory since he thought it was appropriate

Bill

During WWI a Silver Star device displayed on the Victory ribbon was a Citation Star. A Citation Star was awarded for Valor in Combat and is the origin of the Silver Star medal. I am pretty sure that the regulation stating that the 5th award is denoted by a silver star is a WWII regulation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citation_Star

Thanks that makes sense on the Silver Star as he was awarded the Silver Star Medal for valor in WWI.

But a silver star without a campaign star makes no sense.

​Would you mix the one Citation silver with 5 campaign stars on the same ribbon?

Usually when I seen that is the case, the citation star is placed in the middle of the ribbon.

The Five bronze stars being replaced by one silver star on the service ribbon did not happen until sometime in the mid 40’s. Your WWI service ribbon, is feither for naval service in one of the 19 “Duty” stations award a star for their service during WWI or for the Army’s “Defensive Sector clasp” received. The Defensive Sector Clasp was awarded to soldiers who were in a combat zone on the front line of named or un-named battle.