(2) EGW and a Aidaco Looking for Info On

capt14k

I haven't found much info about EGW and Aidaco Knives. Just that EGW was Waterman and they were favored by sailors. First and foremost Are these WWII Era and Military used? If not any info about them?

The EGW on the left is leather grips and only marked on one side EGW over KNIFE. The one in the middle has wood grips and is marked EGW over KNIFE on one side and U.S.A. on the other. Both have a ring on the pommel. The one to the right is just marked AIDACO and has leather grips and I assume aluminum pommel.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If you look at the EGW knives, they come in multiple versions. First the handle can be leather washers or wood; second the length can vary from 5-inch, to 6-inch, to 7-inch; third they can have a saw-tooth like top edge or a smooth top-edge, and the can-opener may be there or not. That's 24 general varieties, and there may be more. Many were private purchase in WWII, but as best I know, there were no government contracts for these.

If you look at the EGW knives, they come in multiple versions. First the handle can be leather washers or wood; second the length can vary from 5-inch, to 6-inch, to 7-inch; third they can have a saw-tooth like top edge or a smooth top-edge, and the can-opener may be there or not. That's 24 general varieties, and there may be more. Many were private purchase in WWII, but as best I know, there were no government contracts for these.

Thank You. So they were private purchase used during war? Favored by Sailors? Both Navy and Merchant Marine? Is that correct?

Anything about the Aidaco?

Thank You. So they were private purchase used during war? Favored by Sailors? Both Navy and Merchant Marine? Is that correct? Anything about the Aidaco?

I don't know if they were favored by the Sailors, but they apparently could be found carried by any service member in WWII.

I don't know anything about Aidaco, but I don't think they were purchased by the government and were probably only private purchase.

I can't find hardly any info about Aidaco. In a Google search there was Aida Cohen, but when I opened the page nothing was there. I'm guessing local dealer who rebranded leftover knives as a house brand?

Found some old posts on this forum talking about pics of Marines carrying EGW Knives. It was another site that mentioned they were favored by sailors. Seems the most desirable are the blades without the bottle opener. I thought it was some odd not very functional wire cutter, but bottle opener makes more sense. Also the leather grips and long 7"+ blade are more desired.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk