U.S. Army APH-5

viking73

Derek,

Great progress. I will get the the items you need out on Monday. I use Citristrip Gel(Menards) to strip paint,no harm to glass and does not stink.I give it a final wash and wipe with lacquer thinner. That rubber reinforcement must be cemented in.

Let you know when items on the way.

Bob

Derek,

Great progress. I will get the the items you need out on Monday. I use Citristrip Gel(Menards) to strip paint,no harm to glass and does not stink.I give it a final wash and wipe with lacquer thinner. That rubber reinforcement must be cemented in.

Let you know when items on the way.

Bob

Thanks Bob! Fantastic but as always, no rush sir. Yeah, stripping the paint might have been easier and faster but what can I say? I'll file this away for the next restoration!

Hey.....several sets of those metal rails just came up on Ebay

Heck yeah, that's where I bought mine from a few weeks ago :)

-Derek

Good Morning,

I made a bit of progress on the shell this week. Taking advice from Bob (and already tired of all the sanding!), I picked up a quart of Citristrip from the local hardware store. Using and old paint brush, I slathered it completely with the Citristrip gel.

post-5482-0-28524300-1515256332_thumb.jpg

post-5482-0-00012100-1515256339_thumb.jpg

After letting it work overnight, I took to scrubbing the shell with an old toothbrush. Much to my amazement, the old thick paint was coming off completely off with ease!

After a rub down with mineral spirits, here is how the shell looks now. There are a couple of small spots with some paint, but I think a quick swipe with some 320 grit should take care of it nicely.

If the weather holds up (it's supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow) I should be able to shoot it with a primer coat.

More soon, thanks for looking.

-Derek

post-5482-0-72969500-1515256565_thumb.jpg

post-5482-0-69337700-1515256573_thumb.jpg

Derek,

Looking good.Make sure all the stripper is gone from around the chin strap and reinforcement mounting points.Would not want it to bleed into your new paint job. ;)

Bob

Just a quick update on this one. I primed the shell and visor earlier in the week. He's the first go around of filling and sanding. I hope to shoot another primer coat on today to check for anymore flaws that need attention before the white paint.

-Derek

post-5482-0-26177300-1515945301_thumb.jpg