WW2 USMC helmet

Screamingeagles101

The photo in reply #126 is definitely the most promising.

There must be someone out there with a "1st pattern" cover with cutter tags?

-Steve

If you had taken the time to actually read pump 150's excellent 10 page thread, "USMC WWII "Frogskin" Covers - Rethinking The Norm", you would have found that photo, and an uncropped version, on page four in his posts #99 and #100, from June 2013.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/178391-usmc-wwii-frogskin-covers-rethinking-the-norm/page-4?hl= slit usmc covers

I've been following this thread but have not commented except at the beginning due to the heavy amount of bickering that took over....I have no need or want to deal with any of that. There does seem to be still much interest though by many which is a good thing because I am also still am searching for the facts myself. As my 2013 thread has been referred to many times but not updated in a while, I will comment there tomorrow.

Thank you,

pump 150

If you had taken the time to actually read pump 150's excellent 10 page thread, "USMC WWII "Frogskin" Covers - Rethinking The Norm", you would have found that photo, and an uncropped version, on page four in his posts #99 and #100, from June 2013.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/178391-usmc-wwii-frogskin-covers-rethinking-the-norm/page-4?hl= slit usmc covers

I've read the 10 page thread.

Hi Pararaftanr2,

Yes I am aware of the photos in the thread I already provided the link to several times. And some of the photos are convincing. There was a nice short video from Okinawa 1945 posted on Facebook that was convincing as well.

The late war theory is definitely worth more research. I have stated already several times I don't know exactly when the so called "1st pattern" started to be produced or issued. As far as I've seen - nobody knows exactly when it was made / issued. All we have is the original drawing from 1942 showing slits and many pictures that clearly show slits, and some photos that are fairly convincing in showing no slit helmets in 1945.

As for the OP's helmet, if he is happy with it, fine. It is not fake, we know that, based on the photos from e-bay it looks like a nice USMC helmet and cover. But can you say for sure it is WWII or do you think there is a good chance it is from the 1945 to Korea period? I simply stated I am more comfortable with the type with slits, and have seen more confirmed WWII vet bringback helmets with that type of cover. There is a good chance many helmets with slits are from the interwar / korean war era period as well. Anyone is welcome to take my opinion on this with a grain of salt and I am happy to see new evidence either way.

I look forward to seeing pump 150's update to the original thread. Let's agree on one thing, there is certainly room for more research on this subject and maybe it will motivate some members to keep digging for more crystal clear photos "1st pattern" cover being used during WWII. This is a topic I would think is of interest to many people on here.

Regards,

-Steve

USMC-RECON0321

Wow, just came across this thread. (First), To me there is no doubt in many of those pictures of no slits being used in WWII. But my best evidence is my named and ID'd WWII USMC helmet set with no slits. After posting the set and my research in 2013, I was contacted by another forum member who knew this WWII Marine Vet when he was alive (Lived near him) and knew of him with this helmet that is now in my collection.

I hope this helps. If not, don't know what else can be provided.

PFC Robert Clayton Cheshier. Fought at Guadalcanal 1943, Saipan and Tinian 1944. His name is stamped on every part of this helmet set and I have his service record also.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/190290-named-idd-helmet-set-of-wwii-marine-pfc-cheshier-1942-to-1945-guadalcanal-saipan-tinian/?hl=cheshier

PFC Robert C. Cheshier (went by Bob)

Born Jan 4th, 1926

Died July 16th, 2005

Home Town – Monticello, Arkansas

Enlisted in the Marine Corps June 4th 1942

Honorably Discharged – Nov 15th 1945

Combat Service; Guadalcanal, Saipan and Tinian

I have his entire Service record and if I’m following it correctly he served in the following units:

• Co, F, 18th Marines, Camp Elliott
  • Co. F, 2nd Pioneer Bn. 18th Marines, 2nd Marine Div.
  • Co. C, 2nd Pioneer Bn. 2nd Mar. Div.
  • Co. E, 6th Marines, 2nd Marine Div. FMF
  • Cas Co. 2nd Mar Div
  • Co. A. 1st Bn 2nd Marines, 2nd Mar Div.
  • HQ Co. 1st BN, 2nd Marines, 2nd Mar Div.

Wow, just came across this thread. (First), To me there is no doubt in many of those pictures of no slits being used in WWII. But my best evidence is my named and ID'd WWII USMC helmet set with no slits. After posting the set and my research in 2013, I was contacted by another forum member who knew this WWII Marine Vet when he was alive (Lived near him) and knew of him with this helmet that is now in my collection.

I hope this helps. If not, don't know what else can be provided.

PFC Robert Clayton Cheshier. Fought at Guadalcanal 1943, Saipan and Tinian 1944. His name is stamped on every part of this helmet set and I have his service record also.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/190290-named-idd-helmet-set-of-wwii-marine-pfc-cheshier-1942-to-1945-guadalcanal-saipan-tinian/?hl=cheshier

PFC Robert C. Cheshier (went by Bob)

Born Jan 4th, 1926

Died July 16th, 2005

Home Town – Monticello, Arkansas

Enlisted in the Marine Corps June 4th 1942

Honorably Discharged – Nov 15th 1945

Combat Service; Guadalcanal, Saipan and Tinian

I have his entire Service record and if I’m following it correctly he served in the following units:

• Co, F, 18th Marines, Camp Elliott
  • Co. F, 2nd Pioneer Bn. 18th Marines, 2nd Marine Div.
  • Co. C, 2nd Pioneer Bn. 2nd Mar. Div.
  • Co. E, 6th Marines, 2nd Marine Div. FMF
  • Cas Co. 2nd Mar Div
  • Co. A. 1st Bn 2nd Marines, 2nd Mar Div.
  • HQ Co. 1st BN, 2nd Marines, 2nd Mar Div.

Thank you for posting this. I tried pointing out there are named M1s with 1st pattern no slit covers from ww2 but no one seemed to care.

USMC-RECON0321

Thank you for posting this. I tried pointing out there are named M1s with 1st pattern no slit covers from ww2 but no one seemed to care.

No problem. I hope this helps put this to a close. This helmet is name-stamped (every piece), ID'd, with a chain of custody from the Vet to me and I have his whole record. Not to mention, another member who personally knew this Marine Vet when he still possessed this helmet and showed it to him back in the day. He discharged in Nov 1945 and no other service time after that.

Troy

No problem. I hope this helps put this to a close. This helmet is name-stamped (every piece), ID'd, with a chain of custody from the Vet to me and I have his whole record. Not to mention, another member who personally knew this Marine Vet when he still possessed this helmet and showed it to him back in the day. He discharged in Nov 1945 and no other service time after that.

Troy

Amazing

MIC DROP!

I appreciate everyone's thoughts first off. If we all got along then this passion of ours would be boring, and everyone would do it. By stirring the nest we are re-learning / exploring our history.

#ScreaminEagles101, Frogskin, Steve1987, USMC Reco, Parafin, Blacksmith. And everyone else. Good thread, and back to the basics. #beatingadeadhorse.

Always told my Soldiers "You can lead a horse to water..... but sometimes they drown there"

PS I'm willing to sell my 1950s EGA stamped super salty blue Anchor cover from its use in Vietnam in the early 60's.

-Peg6

So there's the dagger. NO SLIT COVERS WERE 100% used In WW2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MIC DROP!

I appreciate everyone's thoughts first off. If we all got along then this passion of ours would be boring, and everyone would do it. By stirring the nest we are re-learning / exploring our history.

#ScreaminEagles101, Frogskin, Steve1987, USMC Reco, Parafin, Blacksmith. And everyone else. Good thread, and back to the basics. #beatingadeadhorse.

Always told my Soldiers "You can lead a horse to water..... but sometimes they drown there"

PS I'm willing to sell my 1950s EGA stamped super salty blue Anchor cover from its use in Vietnam in the early 60's.

-Peg6

I'm interested in the cover!

USMC-RECON0321

Here is some additional information I'll add to help with time lines of EGA's being applied to helmet covers. This is an original picture I have in my collection of approximately 217 Marines of Company C, 1st Infantry Training Regt. Camp Pendleton California, Dated Nov 21st 1953. These Marines would be fresh out of Boot Camp and straight into Infantry School. As you can see in the picture, not one of them has an EGA on their helmet covers.

Several more pics to follow.

Thanks

Troy

post-33000-0-07629000-1513466091_thumb.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Last one

And looking at this picture in hand with a loop, you can clearly see it is a mix of covers, some with the slits some without. (but hard to tell in these reduced pictures I posted).

post-33000-0-85568400-1513466739_thumb.jpg