Sgt Rock is back!!

sgtdorango

Sgt. Rock is back in what looks like a three part series, first issue is out now Nov.5, second in Dec and third in Jan. not sure if there are more after that, picked up issue #1 today, still have all my Sgt Rock and war comics from when I was a kid, so I couldnt resist this new adventure!....well worth picking up and I wont spoil anything but I will say there are a few special appearances that everyone should enjoy!... thumbsup.gif ......mike

post-350-1226279237.jpg

I contacted Billy Tucci when he was getting this idea off the ground several months ago and gave him some advice on bazookas and a few things I had info on (oddly he decided to use a M-9 instead of the M1A1 I documented, but oh well). After a while of q/a, I suggested he view of the whole thing through the eyes of a War Correspondent, which if you've read this, you'll see that's exactly what he did. He bounced around the idea of the "Kilroy" character being from the Daily Planet (Superman/Clark Kent's newspaper) but Billy decided against it, probably a wise move. I suggested a cartoonist and he liked that, allowing some re-creations of the class Joe Kubert work.

He sent me his scripts several months ago and I was really impressed. You'll like where this is going. Billy is a former paratrooper with the US Army so he has a feel for the Army life and I really like his art and the writing. Trust me, Billy really has a passion for this project, it's not just a gig to pay the bills for him.

At one point he said he was going to to name one of the characters mentioned in passing after my grandfather and possibly draw me into the book near the end. It's in the script, just another correspondent mentioned in passing not someone really having anything to do with the plot. But even if that never comes to pass, I'll still be just as pleased with the outcome!

I did read it and love the cartoonist war corespondent idea ( Im somewhat of a cartoonist myself!)....cant wait for the next issue!!!....Thats awesome that you are connected to this cool project....if you see or talk to Bill Tucci....tell him a longtime Sgt Rock gives him the thumbs up!! thumbsup.gif ......mike

ps......did you see the reference to Joe Kubert on the first page?( Im not talking just about the recreation of Kuberts Rock,theres a little something else!)

I did read it and love the cartoonist war corespondent idea ( Im somewhat of a cartoonist myself!)....cant wait for the next issue!!!....Thats awesome that you are connected to this cool project....if you see or talk to Bill Tucci....tell him a longtime Sgt Rock gives him the thumbs up!! thumbsup.gif ......mike
Mike, I'll be sure to e-mail him this link so he can see for himself. This link might show up if you're not logged into the site, but I'm not 100% sure. It's worth logging in and reading it, as he talks all about the process, showing lots of art for the future issues and photos of himself and the events he went to for research!
ps......did you see the reference to Joe Kubert on the first page?( Im not talking just about the recreation of Kuberts Rock,theres a little something else!)
You meant the ink bottle, right?

I took a ride in a restored C-47 with Billy Tucci a few months ago and had a look at his portfolio for Sgt. Rock. His art work is amazing!

Rob

Wow, Sgt. Rock is back!?!? I remember riding my Stingray to the neighborhood market to pick up my Sgt. Rock comics. I'll have to get this one since I'm heading into my second childhood anyhow! :rolleyes:

This is great news. A more recent album was published here in Brazil a couple of years ago. As many here I grew up reading the local version during the 70's, some of which I still have to this day.

post-19-1226364559.jpg

post-19-1226364571.jpg

I went ahead and grabbed a copy of it today, and except for a few storytelling issues, I think it great, especially the artwork, which is just incredible. Highly recommended for that alone.

I did also get the SGT Rock DC Showcase Vol. 1 which covers 1959-1962. Great value for the money, if you can get over the colorless comics.

-Ski

Wow, Sgt. Rock is back!?!? I remember riding my Stingray to the neighborhood market to pick up my Sgt. Rock comics. I'll have to get this one since I'm heading into my second childhood anyhow! :rolleyes:
Just keep in mind it's only a 6-issue mini-series.

I beleive SGT Rock made a breif appearance only a few years back in a graphic novel series called "War in heaven", although the graphic novel is about the character 'Enemy Ace'. Rock captures him at the end

I beleive SGT Rock made a breif appearance only a few years back in a graphic novel series called "War in heaven", although the graphic novel is about the character 'Enemy Ace'. Rock captures him at the end
I have that series as well (good concept, the "Enemy Ace" character from WW1 is much older and pressed into service as a pilot for Germany in WW2. He does indeed surrender to SGT Rock at the very end. SGT Rock has made minor appearances in various comics over the years.

Speaking of which, Did anyone notice the "Haunted Tank" reference in this book? If I recall from the script, you'll see them again but not as a very large part of the story.

I had an electronic copy of War in Heaven but that PC died a horrid death. I should track down the books...but since SGT Rock is back, will it be long before the Unknown Soldier makes his own appearance?? I loved that comic

I had an electronic copy of War in Heaven but that PC died a horrid death. I should track down the books...but since SGT Rock is back, will it be long before the Unknown Soldier makes his own appearance?? I loved that comic
Already out, but it's not WW2, takes place in a African thrid world country, i think. I looked at the first issue for all over 5 seconds before I realized it wasn't for me. Vertigo (a DC outfit) did a series a few years back that was very good, the Unknown Solider had been in at the end of WW2 and in modern times was looking for someone to replace him. Really good story work, I have them around here somewhere.

Before anyone thinks otherwise, I only collect and read WW2 comics, I don't have any other kinds...

• 4 weeks later...

Just read the second Rock issue!!......excellent, the plot thickens!.......am I going crazy or did I see a South Park "they killed Kenny!" reference!!???..... thumbsup.gif .......mike

• 2 months later...

I just got a e-mail from Billy with the pencil drawing of another correspondent, based on a photo he asked me to send him of myself. I'm not in the frame with SGT Rock himself, but who could complain in my spot? I'm looking down so you can't really tell 100% that it's me, but my name has come up a few times in his interviews, so I doubt anyone will call me a liar... thumbsup.gif

I can't wait for it to come out in stores, should be in a couple of months. I'm not posting it here just yet as I'm not sure he wants that stuff out there so early...

Thanks for the heads up. Yesterday, I got issues 1 and 3. They are ordering issue 2 for me. He also said that issue 4 is hitting the stores this Wednesday. Just in case any of you are looking for the 4th installment. Thanks again for the heads up...Kat

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think this is hush-hush now, but this is a peak of one of the pages for the issue that should be coming out very soon:

SGTRockLee.jpg

The guy at the bottom panel writing on the note pad is yours truly. Note, the guy with glasses in the panel above me is NOT of me, it's a guy from another unit, note the helmet insignia. I think in color it'll be easier to tell. Yeah, I know you can't see my face, but that was drawn from a photo of myself I sent to Billy a month or two ago. The character is only in that one panel, and is only there as a thanks for my assistance with the concept when he was still writing the script for this. Once you see the finished version, ask about the name that is given for the character that I represent…

Looks great! I have the first 4 issues and can't wait for the next. Do you have any idea when the 5th will be released? Thanks...Kat

I loved picking up vintage Sgt. Rock comic books when I was a kid. I still have one sitting in my dresser as I type this. Unfortunately the cover is long gone, but it's about him being captured and blasting his way out(who doesn't love the karate chop into the Nazi as he's about to shoot rock, and in turn shoots himself?). I most especially loved the Q and A section of that issue, a Marine from Vietnam got his letter published into the comic, and it's a real eye opener. I know it was for me when I got it, around age 12 or so. Either way, I'm really impressed with these new issues, they look great.