German map case

Jeff

This is one of the first pieces of militaria that I bought my self back in the earlier 80s when I was a teen at the Concord MA military show. Anyone remember those shows!? I recently pulled this piece out after a long time of hiding and was pleased to remember that there is the name and number of the GI who most likely picked this up in the field. I tried to do a quick search on NARA. Is there a way to obtain records from NARA with out submitting the form? Also is Ancestry.com a good place to do this type of research? The GIs name and number are branded into the leather as: Sgt. Dick Reardon 11051899. Maybe someone on the forum can help me out with these questions. Thanks so much in advance!!!! Jeff

post-1062-1226278546.jpg

brandon_rss18

NARA is going to be the way to go on this one. Ancestry.com has gotten worse about giving up information. You might just have to do it the hard way and send it in.

Found him on NARA...I dont know if you can send away for more details.....mike

I will see if I can find what you did. Thanks. Did you type in all the info or just his name or number? I tried earlier and got like 2000 reardon names.

Thanks so much. I tried that to with no luck. Where on Nara do you type this info to get results? If I submit the form will I get more info such as unit and MOS or where he served? Jeff

Start here http://aad.archives.gov/aad/index.jsp then click on WWII or Korean War etc. then put in your info and then you have to click on the little folder to see the records...try different things and you will get the hang of it, just recently someone gave me pointers and now its a little easier to use, let me know if you need more help......mike

great item Jeff. Sometimes you find gear that "changed sides" or just came home as a souvenir. I have a German Arbeitsbuch that a GI used the back half of as an address book for his buddies.