VMSB-132 | VMTB-132 | Cactus Air Force

walika

VMSB-132 | VMTB-132 | Cactus Air Force

VMSB-132 left the United States on 13 October 1942 from San Diego aboard the SS Lurline (Matson Lines). At the time of their departure the squadron consisted of 27 officers, 245 enlisted men and a few attached Navy personnel. They landed in Nouméa, New Caledonia on 28 October. On 30 October 1942, VMSB-132, under the command of Major Louis Robertshaw, landed at Henderson Field, Guadalcanal. Upon arrival, they became part of the Cactus Air Force, the ensemble of Allied air power assigned to the island of Guadalcanal from August 1942 until December 1942 during the early stages of the Guadalcanal Campaign, particularly those operating from Henderson Field. VMSB-132 fought during the Battle of Guadalcanal until December 1942 when they were relieved by VMSB-233. The squadron’s pilots and gunners left the island on 24 December 1942 and arrived in Sydney, Australia for leave on New Year’s Eve.

After resting, reorganizing, and retraining, they then moved to Espiritu Santo where they were met by their ground echelon in January 1943. During this time, they became part of the Strike Command of the 13th Air Force, responsible for attacking nearby enemy bases and shipping and giving what was then considered close support to front-line units. The squadron returned to Guadalcanal in June 1943 and flew missions from there until their return to the States on 26 October 1943.

Early in the summer of 1944, the squadron was reorganized and in training at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro as part of Marine Base Defense Air Group 41. On 14 October 1944, the squadron was once again redesignated, this time as VMTB-132. They received their first Grumman TBF Avengers in November of that year. The squadron training at Marine Corps Air Station Mojave, California from 15 December 1944 until January 16, 1945. They remained in training until they embarked on board the USS Cape Gloucester on 21 May 1945. They arrived in Leyte on 29 June 1945 and operated in the East China Sea during July and August 1945.

Commissioned VMSB: 7-7-1941

Aircraft: SBD-1 Dauntless; SBD-3 Dauntless; SBD-4 Dauntless; SBD-5 Dauntless

Nickname: None.

Redesignated VMTB: 10-1-1944

Aircraft: TBM-3E Avenger
Nickname: Crying Red Asses

Insignia

Type I (VMSB-132): Cactus insignia - Designed by Lt. Col. John H. Stock USMC (ret.) The numeral 132 represented the squadron number. As we've seen with many of the Marine Corps units the unit designation, VMSB, was not allowed to be used for security reasons. The bomb signified the mission of the squadron. The cactus represented the code name for Guadalcanal. The bulldog with a flight helmet and goggles represented Marine aviators. A very limited number of these patches were manufactured, and distributed to flight crew only.

Embroidered on wool.

VMSB-132-700.jpg

Type II (VMTB-132): Red Donkey insignia - designed by Capt. Byron M. "Rip" Radcliffe

An insignia for VMTB- 132 was designed aboard CVE- 109 (Cape Gloucester). The red donkey with the blue tears running down its cheeks represented the squadron nickname "Crying Red Asses". "Red Assed" was a term used in the Marine Corps to describe an individual's current status within the Corps.

American chenille on wool. Maurer states another version was also made, American embroidery on wool.

VMTB-132-2-700.jpg

Maurer published the following excerpt from a letter by the artist, Capt. Radcliffe, explaining the background to the circumstances concerning the choice of insignia:

"The meaning [of the red donkey] is well known. It not only cleared the immediate brass, who were as steamed about a second tour so late, when we had all had enough because they were there in the Solomons with us. Our skipper, Major Hank Hise had been the skipper of 232 in the islands and did an extra tour there of his own choosing. The rest of us senior officers in 132 had been in 233 and other squadrons that had taken a pounding. As you know, pilots were shifted around into different squadrons in the islands. I was in three of them but spent the greatest time in 233, so relate to that number most easily.

When we finally were relieved and sent stateside, most of us did not expect an overseas assignment - at least so soon. After my leave time my orders said Santa Barbara as did those of other good friends of past action. When we all met at Santa Barbara and learned that we were to be a carrier squadron and get shipped out fairly soon, there was a bunch of bitching, naturally. In fact, my stay in the states was only 6 months - and most of that was squadron retraining for carrier operation.

In April of '45 we were ready and the ship had completed shakedown - so we went aboard. In May we left for Pearl Harbor after a hectic schedule of carrier operation familiarization. We then left Pearl heading for the China Sea 3 weeks later after more operations - during which 2 of our fighters were lost on night landings operation. So, with the war over in Europe and the Army letting people out on a point system, we were heading back for trouble. The Navy did not have a "point" system until before we were leaving Pearl and the Marine Corps later than that. Each was tougher than that of the Army - ours was the worst. Still, there were many of us who were eligible until an order came down that the "point" system did not apply to those heading out of Pearl.

Combining all these factors, the red-rump was a common malady. Just when we adopted the patch, which I drew up in Santa Barbara before shipping out, is uncertain - but we had it in Pearl. Not all the pilots of 132 were shot-up vets, but a good share of us were. Col. Yost, of the fighter squadron (VMF-351) was also boss of both squadrons (in the air group) and had a fine sense of humor plus friends upstairs. He endorsed the patch and we had no problems at all. In fact, the patch got approved faster than any I had ever known of before. I believe that had something to do with making sure we had it as we headed out. Perhaps as pacifier of sorts. Being eligible for release but heading out for action again was the "frosting on the cake."

SBD Over Guadalcanal

SBD%20over-guadalcanal-800.jpg

SDB, F6F and TBF on carrier deck, 1943

SBD_F6F_and_TBF_1943-1000.jpg

SDB Dauntless

SBD_color.jpg

Millstein, Jeff. U. S. Marine Corps Aviation Unit Insignia 1941-1946.

VMSB-132

VMTB-132

I could not edit my post, so below are two related Marine Corps air station patches.

MCAS Mohave | Marine Corps Air Station Mohave (Barstow, CA)

Pyrography on leather

MCAS%20Mohave-700.jpg

MCAS El Toro | Marine Corps Air Station El Toro

Embroidered on twill

MCAS%20El%20Toro-700.jpg