Best of 2017

cwnorma

Here is the back. I would like any input on who possibly made these and if other examples exist. I know of only three, but certainly there were others. Great thread. All the best.

I agree that this was made in Italy. I have one sewn example in my collection as well as another with a horizontal pin back of the type seen on Italian manufactured Italian pilot wings of WW2. Mine is unfortunately slightly damage where the end piece of the pull cylinder is missing. I've have only ever seen this sewn on a 505th PIR oval. My guess was that someone with the 505th PIR ordered a number of these para wings in Italy and sold them to other members of the group.

Here is my find for 2017 an engraved paratrooper wing. I was able to locate information on Maurice Linton through his obituary and this photograph of him while serving with the 503rd RCT.

post-1389-0-26038500-1514066019.jpg

post-1389-0-21546100-1514066030.jpg

Wartime photo of Maurice Linton serving with the 503rd PIR.

Great wing and photo, good that he sticks with the uniform regs, he might have gotten into trouble! ;)

Wow! It's quite apparent that 2017 was an excellent year for wing and badge collecting! You've got to love the scarcity and wide variety of U.S. collecting interests posted above. Best of luck with your collecting in 2018!

rathbonemuseum.com

My best was this biographical set to Lt(jg) Miriam Serrick, USN. She was one of the first navy nurses to attend air evac school and graduated with the first class. She was posted to the Pacific theater and participated in the Okinawa evacs.

Included in the set was her wing, her hand-engraved air medal, many photos and her original orders authorizing her as a flight nurse and the ability to wear the wing.

A0145-29-USNFlyNurse_zpsyjh9sy9r_preview.jpg

A0145-02-USNFlyNurse_zps98ifynsz_preview.jpg

A0145-09-USNFlyNurse_zpsi7dmvws3_preview.jpg

A0145-54-USNFlyNurse_zpso6bpoau5_preview.jpg

SerrickFlightNurseOrders.jpg