Offutt AFB 1953 National Sport Car Races Presentation Platter

Thought I would share my latest presentation acquisition. I’m just starting to research the history behind this piece but what I have found so far is that the National Sport Car Races were held all around the country, and about half were held on military instillations. The competitions lasted about twenty years, and then presumably the organization was disbanded. I don’t know what class this platter was for, or how many classes there were. The platter itself is number 667 of the Castleton pattern made by International Silver Company. It does have some minor surface scratches but it’s a very interesting piece that appeals to the militaria collector and the sport racing collector at the same time.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 3 years later...

I thought I'd give this thread a bump to see if anyone has ever come across another plaque like this or knows more about them. Also if anyone who has studied the history of Offutt A.F.B. could chime in that'd be awesome. Any help is appreciated!

Not surprisingly GEN Curtis LeMay was the driving force behind the SCCA sanctioned sports car races at SAC bases all over the country. The best article is on the "Hemmings" website. There is also a book covering the subject. Again the title is in the "Hemmings" article. LeMay had an Allard-Cadillac J2 that had been one of the team cars at Le Mans in '52 or '53. Not only was he friends with Sidney Allard, he also knew the honchos at GM. I lived at Offutt from 1959 to 1965 but I don't recall any races during that time. The guy he is is handing the trophy to is Roger Penske. I've been a racing fanatic for most of my 68 years, so I have more than a passing interest in this subject. Glad you asked! Search on! 

f57cd802372506adb9ab74ea9ef2e0b6--buick-cars-motorcycles.jpg

090824-F-9999D-002.jpg

b56ac0_412312e8048c4aceb72c55b0a2a9d862.jpg

fc34591a9d641971_large_d36d983f0d1c1e0fd4e1c49a930cce14471fed8b.jpg

lemay-and-burrell.jpg

lemay.jpg

lm1.jpg

Lockbournelineup_1500-700x524.jpg

SCCA_Sports_Car_Jun_1962_LeMay_IMRRC-800x444.jpg

xlarge.jpg