Near mint ARVN (QLVNCH) Helmet Cover

AnDuc49

Its an ERDL cover introduced in 1969.

This was produced until 1980.

Without opening it up its hard to tell when this was made as they are very close to the 76 pattern.

This is mine...different condition, different material and, above all, different and really crude manufacture. I'm sure that it's original, but it's only my opinion.

Ciao Eugen

Fantastico Elmetto !

Bravo

D.C

For completeness, this is the square stamp that I saw in internet on another very similar camo cover...for sure in better condition than mine

post-116436-0-49598600-1512721035.jpg

Yes, definitely odd Bob,

the stitching on the eyelets is a strange colour isn't it. Guess It could be some form of 'Depot made' Item and the ones we're used to seeing are from contracted production but I'm not sure Most of the manufacture and even the material are not screaming wrong but those eyelets worry me. Wish I hadn't sold my examples so I had something to compare to :rolleyes: .

You're very likely right Owen and its a clever fake, I'm just reticent to completely dismiss it as so much of it looks ok.

Yours, Guy.

vintageproductions

For completeness, this is the square stamp that I saw in internet on another very similar camo cover...for sure in better condition than mine

That looks like someone put a uniform issue stamp in a helmet cover. A helmet cover would not have a size like it is shown in the photo on the left side of the "square" stamp.

LOL, the perverse thing is that the material on the outside of that one looks great. Guessing someone added the square stamp to sex it up.

Viewing the images again I do think the cover that started this thread and the last one shown are likely fake, I don't remember the unprinted side of mine being twill. Oh, I don't know, sorry not to be able to help.

Thanks for all of the opinions guys

If you don't mind, could I ask a few questions to clarify things for me?

From what I understand,

-- The stitching is off correct? Is it due to the material/ style seen here?

-- The stamp is also incorrect from what I'm understanding, so are originals from what is known generally found to be unmarked?

-- Also with the camo material, are these not twill? I'm wondering if it's possible that an original sheet of fabric was found, cut up and sew into covers or various other items. Compared to the pictures, the colors are much more "mute" if you have in your hand. I tried brightening up the photos in my original post to highlight possible details

Apologies if any of these questions sound stupid, I just want to learn so I can avoid mistakes in the future

Thanks,
K

I love the RIP and DAMAGE to the Cover E.

Makes it even better.

But VERY fragile I am sure.

owen

Thanks again Owen!

Yes you're right, the cover it's fragile and I must handle it with care,but all things considered, it's still in good condition.

That looks like someone put a uniform issue stamp in a helmet cover. A helmet cover would not have a size like it is shown in the photo on the left side of the "square" stamp.

LOL, the perverse thing is that the material on the outside of that one looks great. Guessing someone added the square stamp to sex it up.

In my opionion there is another possibility. For make this kind of covers was also used parts of scrap uniform. Probably I wrong but this covers was used by Ranger only. If this is correct it's could be a limited production to a unit level.

vintageproductions

In my opionion there is another possibility. For make this kind of covers was also used parts of scrap uniform. Probably I wrong but this covers was used by Ranger only. If this is correct it's could be a limited production to a unit level.

By 1973 or so all units that wore camo for the most part started wearing BDQ pattern camo, this included marines, Airborne, Special Forces, etc.

Even if they did cut up a piece of uniform I highly doubt it would have been done perfectly to show the QM stamp of a garment.

vintageproductions

Thanks for all of the opinions guys

If you don't mind, could I ask a few questions to clarify things for me?

From what I understand,

-- The stitching is off correct? Is it due to the material/ style seen here?

-- The stamp is also incorrect from what I'm understanding, so are originals from what is known generally found to be unmarked?

-- Also with the camo material, are these not twill? I'm wondering if it's possible that an original sheet of fabric was found, cut up and sew into covers or various other items. Compared to the pictures, the colors are much more "mute" if you have in your hand. I tried brightening up the photos in my original post to highlight possible details

Apologies if any of these questions sound stupid, I just want to learn so I can avoid mistakes in the future

Thanks,

K

I don't think anyone is saying the stitching is not correct, it just doesn't look like accepted original ones.

All the ones I have ever seen or handled have never been marked with a uniform issue type stamp.

When you do Vietnamese items, you can never say never but you do pay attention to different types of manufacturing.

• 2 years later...
On 12/6/2017 at 5:27 PM, AnDuc49 said:

post-154926-0-93947000-1512599241_thumb.jpg

The bottom third row of slits is very odd. Not sure what the utility of that would be. 

Here is the one I just picked up which is a bit different. 

20201115_004509.jpg