Near mint ARVN (QLVNCH) Helmet Cover

AnDuc49

Hello all, I was recently able to obtain this cover from a close friend and I want to share it today. Based on BDQ (Ranger) camo, these covers were issued and worn by South Vietnanese Rangers, Marines and Airborne during the conflict. This example is in excellent condition and does not appear to have ever been worn on a helmet. Most of the wear and scuffing seems to have come from storage. The cover also has a depot stamp on one of the flaps. Interestingly, rather than the standard 2 rows of foliage slits, this cover has 3. The material itself is quite soft and feels similar to a twill cover.

I hope you enjoy it

post-154926-0-39374400-1512599045_thumb.jpg

This is a really nice cover! Does anyone have any pictures of these being worn in country? These are similar enough to the post war 80's cover that I wouldn't be surprised if any of these have been passed up thinking they were post war.

Hunt

This is a really nice cover! Does anyone have any pictures of these being worn in country? These are similar enough to the post war 80's cover that I wouldn't be surprised if any of these have been passed up thinking they were post war.

Hunt

These started appearing towards the mid to the late war period. Here's a photo of several paratroopers wearing these covers. The photo itself is dated April 1975

post-154926-0-15604900-1512604417_thumb.jpg

I am re looking at this cover.

I am thinking its NOT war time.

The Stamp gives me pause.

There is something off about it.

What do you see that is off with the stamp?

I can re-take a photo of the stamp and any other details if that would help

I know what you mean Owen, initially I was quite excited to see one with a stamp but now Im not sure. Ive owned half a dozen of these, they were quite common ten years ago but I never had one with a stamp. Headgear isnt usually marked like this and the stitching on this one is a bit of an odd colour. Doesnt mean its wrong but An Duc but Id certainly do a bit more research before being comfortable with it. Please let us know what you find out.

Yours, Guy.

vintageproductions

Guy- I am right there with you on this one. I am super excited to see the stamp but again something is odd. The stamp reads "Military Clothing Production Center / Supply". But like you said have never seen one in a helmet cover. Could be a rare variant but who knows.

The slits are odd to me also, in that they are way heavier then what you see on a traditional ARVN cover.

cover.JPG

This is mine...different condition, different material and, above all, different and really crude manufacture. I'm sure that it's original, but it's only my opinion.

post-116436-0-04077700-1512685604.jpg