Best Acquisition of 2017

SARGE

OK Gents,

It is time for the Best acquisition of 2017 thread. Post your best edged weapon find of this year. It does not have to be the most expensive or rarest item but it does have to be your favorite find for 2017.

My best find is a Model 1871 US Public Health Service Officer sword along with USPHS accouterments. This non-combatant Commissioned Officer medical service sword morphed from the Marine Hospital Service founded in 1798 into the Public Health Service in 1912. A scarce sword that I have long kept a lookout for.

USPHS sword.JPG

USPHS sword hilt.JPG

USPHS sword pommel.JPG

USPHS sword blade lettering.JPG

USPHS buckle.JPG

ParanormalTrooper

Heres mine!

Nothing special- not by a long shot- but its my first M1852 sword!

I need to take better photos but theres no manufacturers mark on the opposite side of the blade, and the eagle is facing to the right on the hilt (is that the proper term?) leading me to believe its a 1920s or 30s sword. It's pretty salty but still cool.

post-162053-0-57437400-1512579516_thumb.jpeg

Mine comes with a story.

As most of you know, I just started collecting this past summer (with the foolish notion I could buy just ONE USMC KA-BAR and be done) and one of my first purchases were two fake Boyt 43's (a USMC & a USN). After that I met someone on here (not sure if he'd want his name posted, but he sure has my thanks) who took me under his wing and with his guidance I've gotten some fabulous stuff - more USN than the USMC stuff I was after, but fabulous quality stuff nonetheless. But, USN stuff aside, since my original intention was USMC, and one of my first buys was a fake Boyt USMC sheath, I this one has to be considered my favorite and will probably remain so for quite a while. It doesn't compare rarity or dollarwise to some of the stuff I know you guys are going to post, or even some of the other stuff I've gotten, but it's my honey!

post-168413-0-33470400-1512586826_thumb.jpg

Mine would be a 1904 first aid pouch with original hook and 1904 first aid pouch modified to take the 1907 bandage. Why no pics you ask....Because Santa wife intercepted them and they have disappeared to the North Pole wrapping station. 19 days to go

Bob

My favorite acquisition this year is a Springfield Armory M1872 Cavalry Officer’s saber. This is the earlier version which Kellerstadt characterized as the “heavy variant”, and which Farrington has now identified as the original M1872 Cavalry sword which was adopted for use just by cavalry officers. In 1880 it was replaced by a lighter and slightly modified “Field and Cavalry Officers” pattern 1880 sword. The pattern 1880, which is also commonly referred to as the M1872, was intended for use not only by cavalry officers, but by all mounted officers. Aside from the heavier weight, the most obvious difference is the blade, which is about 7/8th inch wide, 1/8th inch wider than the 1880 pattern, and has a stopped wide fuller whereas the 1880 pattern had an unstopped fuller. This original M1872 Cavalry Officer sword is quite rare. Less than 110 were made, 103 of which were made in 1876. I had been looking for one for years, so I was quite surprised to find it listed in an auction catalog described only as a garden-variety M1872 with no mention of it being a Springfield, much less the heavy variant. I was absolutely amazed, but pleasantly so, that apparently no one else recognized it for what it was and I obtained it for $308.73 including buyers premium and shipping. I’m not sure what it would sell for if properly identified since I have never seen another one sold, but I would expect it would be well into four figures.

post-160923-0-16911400-1512598352_thumb.jpg

​For comparison, here is a photo of a Springfield M1872/80, the light Field and Cavalry Officer saber:

post-160923-0-64702200-1512598976_thumb.jpg

My favorite acquisition this year is a Springfield Armory M1872 Cavalry Officer’s saber. This is the earlier version which Kellerstadt characterized as the “heavy variant”, and which Farrington has now identified as the original M1872 Cavalry sword which was adopted for use just by cavalry officers. In 1880 it was replaced by a lighter and slightly modified “Field and Cavalry Officers” pattern 1880 sword. The pattern 1880, which is also commonly referred to as the M1872, was intended for use not only by cavalry officers, but by all mounted officers. Aside from the heavier weight, the most obvious difference is the blade, which is about 7/8th inch wide, 1/8th inch wider than the 1880 pattern, and has a stopped wide fuller whereas the 1880 pattern had an unstopped fuller. This original M1872 Cavalry Officer sword is quite rare. Less than 110 were made, 103 of which were made in 1876. I had been looking for one for years, so I was quite surprised to find it listed in an auction catalog described only as a garden-variety M1872 with no mention of it being a Springfield, much less the heavy variant. I was absolutely amazed, but pleasantly so, that apparently no one else recognized it for what it was and I obtained it for $308.73 including buyers premium and shipping. I’m not sure what it would sell for if properly identified since I have never seen another one sold, but I would expect it would be well into four figures.

attachicon.gifM1872 Cav Springfield 11 comp.jpg

​For comparison, here is a photo of a Springfield M1872/80, the light Field and Cavalry Officer saber:

attachicon.gifm1872 1880 Springfield Cav 1.jpg

Awesome acquisition, congratulations! The closest I've been able to get is a bare blade with no furniture...

Mine would be a 1904 first aid pouch with original hook and 1904 first aid pouch modified to take the 1907 bandage. Why no pics you ask....Because Santa wife intercepted them and they have disappeared to the North Pole wrapping station. 19 days to go

Bob

Well now I just feel stupid. After being all excited to share my find, I reread the heading that this is for edged weapons.

OOPS

Bob

My best I guess would be an Ames militia sword I recently acquired.

A pre Mexican War Ames. Etched blade and a brass scabbard. The older guard casting very reminiscent of the Portsmouth Artillery example above. With an NP Ames Springfield address, this one is pretty early. The 25" etched blade sports a crossed sword and quiver under a spread eagle with E Pluribus Unum, with the obverse etched with a tall liberty pole with flags. Some minor dents and a crack in the brass scabbard but it is all there. The pommel is 180 degrees backwards in these dealer pictures. I'll take some more pictures in time.
Pictures, well here are some linked
Also a few of that sword in another thread begun recently here

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=1281829

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=1281833

Like so many best offers, it doesn't hurt to take a chance on ebay. This was definitely a case where my expectations have been exceeded. This is now another terrific addition to my collection of mostly Ames examples. A second with a metal scabbard and a third with the scallop guard langet. Merry Christmas to me, I can't see I'll afford something else before then.

Cheers
GC

I've spent 2017 filling holes in my collection. These two knives filled the Vietnam Private Knives Section. The one on top is a Gerber Mark II, 1969/70 manufacture. They can get pricey on ebay, and I was just lucky enough to get this one at a reasonable price. I carried a 1979 Mark II in Desert Storm, passed it on to my son who carried it in OEF and OIF, so it spent a lot of time in the Middle East (and sits at his house, so I just had to get another one). It's used but not abused and shows evidence of being carried in the leather sheath for some time. Like any private knife (such as the Randall below) whether or not it made it to Vietnam and back is anyone's guess.

The second one I posted some time earlier. I showed to a Randall collector and he agreed that it was probably an early kit knife, put together in the late '60s. It's made in the manner as the Randal #3-6. The sheath I had made by Savage Sheaths and it's a great match to the knife and matches the original sheath at a quarter of the price.

post-11546-0-59556200-1512621906_thumb.jpg

Well now I just feel stupid. After being all excited to share my find, I reread the heading that this is for edged weapons.

OOPS

Bob

Don't worry Bob. All you have to do is rush out and buy an edged weapon before the first of the year. ;)

Everyone else, keep up the good work. Some nice goodies being shown. :love:

Pretty slim pickins this year, but here's my poor unfortunate shortened Case M3 Blade Dated Trench Knife that I saved from certain death.

post-26996-0-51889800-1512710958_thumb.jpg

post-26996-0-99191200-1512710970_thumb.jpg

It wasn't a banner year for me on the edged weapons front, but I did manage to add a WWII M-2 switchblade to the collection. This one came from a long-time collecting friend and ally. He picked it up out of the woodwork and gave me the opportunity to add it to my collection. While it doesn't have paratrooper provenance, it is exactly like others that I have picked up from veterans or their families.

THis one is what i would call "salty." It shows heavy use and sharpening, but the bone handles are intact and the safey actualy works which really isn't all that common. It is just what I want to see on a combat-carried example.

Allan

post-151-0-50060400-1512944148.jpg

post-151-0-89757900-1512944171.jpg

post-151-0-42247600-1512944193.jpg

post-151-0-68779700-1512944209.jpg

Great thread gang! Picked up some knives this year, but mostly duplicates. Did win a Springfield Armory lightweight compact

Range Officer 1911 in a raffle at work. Just happened to have one pistol permit. It all worked out great. SKIP