'RN' PATCH - Civil Defense Registered Nurse

INIMICUS

Yeah I think it might be a Civil Defense Registered Nurse ID patch.

-Ski

I have absolutely no idea, but that was the same thought I had just seeing the colors and the format.

Royal Navy?

I was off on this as well... there is an older Royal Navy logo that I remember seeing from the 1970's, but the R and the N are stylized so that one flows into the other.

This is not the best example, but it was the only one I could find. Generally it was seen in their recruiting ads without the crown.

http://www.trooplogos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=810

Royal Navy.jpg

thank you worthy gentlemen! so a certified head-scratcher, it seems.

I've sent the link to our very knowledgealbe member 'wwii legacy girl,' and may try the great site blitzkrieg baby.de which despite the name has masses of modeled us womens' wwii clothes and accessorites and insignia (all services.) a real treasure trove. if u havent been and get some girlie stuff, many answers are to be found there, for sure!

Cobra 6 Actual

It is definitely for a Registered Nurse and part of the US civil defense structure. The basic civil defense logos were designed in 1939 by commercial artist Charles Coiner. Over time other logos were added or changed. For example, in addition to the RN design, the Civil Air Patrol logo was changed in 1942 by adding the letters US in white at the bottom of the patch.

Some changes were official, such as the mentioned CAP addition of US but many were not. For example, in addition to the RN design shown in the initial post there is a related one with the medical caduceus and the letters R and N. And, there is a similar one with the caduceus and the letters M and D.