473rd Infantry regiment uniform, PH ribbon, named

RDUNE

Hello all,

I just wanted to share a uniform that I recently acquired. The uniform is named and I found an obituary for a local man by that name. The obituary mentions that he earned the Purple Heart in WWII. It doesn't look like its had collar discs, CIB, rank insignia etc attached. I don't see any holes or indication that anything has been removed from the uniform. I haven't found a roster of men from the 473rd, after action reports or general orders online yet, but I intend to send away for his records and hopefully that will provide some answers.

Thanks for looking :)

-Ryan

post-44370-0-57230400-1512411698_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind comments and very helpful PM's :) I'm going to request his records from NPRC and will post them when they arrive. In the meantime if anyone comes across the general orders for this regiment please shoot me a PM. I would love to see if this veteran is listed.

-Ryan

• 3 years later...

I honestly can't recall if I got his file or not. We moved, had a baby, etc and a lot of my files are still packed away. I know I still have the uniform but it is in storage right now. I will see if I can find his full name & serial number. I believe the last name was Lemon. 

-Ryan 

• 1 month later...

In case, I think I can help. I am the 473rd veteran Association historian. Send me the name and will see what I can do.

Rgds

Amazing - I have always really liked this jacket and literally thought about it tonight checked the forum and see these updates!  Wow 

thx 

best

bill K 

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

I just ran across this picture on Facebook.

735994C7-5E41-4986-918A-235AA61D5635.jpeg

That is something new or at least to me it is.  I've never seen their DUI on a shield before.  I wonder if it is an unknown variant or if this solder simply decided to add the shields as a fancy backing to the standard DUI?

473c.jpg

Interesting, I had wondered how difficult it might have been to find DI's and such to complete the uniform for a display. I have actually passed this uniform on to a collector who could give it a more appropriate home. 

-Ryan