My education is slow - dating these EGA's

Montana40

One of the great things about collecting EGA's is the variety in patterns and challenge in dating of the ornaments. One of the most confusing things about collecting EGA's is the variety in patterns and challenge in dating of the ornaments. Just the minute I think I have a little handle on things I turn the page and find out I don't. Thanks to Tim Klie's book (outstanding work) I have learned a ton. Many times I have picked the book up and started all over from the beginning. Just when I think I have difference between a P1912 & P1937 down pat I find one that looks like a 1912 but is a 1937 and visa versa. To tell you the truth it is clear that the book is just a starter, there needs to be an "EGA University" and even a BA may not totally get you there.

A couple days ago I picked up a couple of early enlisted EGA's which I believed to be WWI era, but exactly what year of mfg. or use, I was not sure. So going thru the Klie's book I thought I definitely found both of them. Both of them appeared to be P1892 found on PP160. Both of them had the "Loxodromic line" so possibly dated circa 1908 as the Circa 1912 does not have the "Loxodromic line". I believed I had learned something important in dating the early ornaments, those with the line will be circa 1908 and those without always 1912. But as I looked further in the 1918-1920 enlisted ornaments I see most all them look similar and have the Loxodromic line? So I am confused.

Bottom line is that I have gained a great deal of respect for Tim Klie and other advanced collectors as it is not just one clue to accurately identify and date an EGA but several and ... years of experience.

So, Are these two EGA's P1892 Circa 1908 or?? Thanks for any assistance, will add to the learning experience.

post-4195-0-13714600-1512323809.jpg

Dating an EGA is more guesswork then a collector may think. I tried to give some insight on page 89 of my book about eras and patterns.True circa dates would be great if someone had access to the manufactures' records. The best evidence to establish a specific date are Marine photos. They give the collector an idea when the first variations appeared. An EGA patter may be manufactured for decades with numerous variations. Thus the ESH pattern 1892 appeared until after the 1937. However there were numerous variations: 1904, 1908, 1912, 1917, 1918, 1920, 1930. These variations are what make the hobby fun and interesting.

When you get any two collectors together there is always a lively discussion on the dates of some EGAs. My book was the primer to get more discussion started. Please consider it a starter not the know all. THX Tim Klie