U.S. Army CW4 CWU-27/P Flight Suit

viking73

Hello,

I picked up this flight suit yesterday at a surplus store in Fort Worth. It's in pretty good shape and so I had to have it since I do love army aviation items. Looks like the owner was probably an instructor at Ft. Rucker and that he was a Vietnam vet based on the 1st Cav combat patch and CW4 rank.

The tag is pretty washed out, so I cannot make out the contract year which is a real bummer. Do any of you guys know when the CWU-27/P was first issued to replace the older K-2B flight suit? I'm thinking this flight suit must be from the late 70s/early 80s?

Also, any ideas as to what the missing round velcro patch might have been? Some sort of instructor patch or something else? I would like to try and track one down if I had some leads as to what it might have been. Would the name tag have been the standard leather one?

Thanks for looking,

-Derek

post-5482-0-24997200-1512307430_thumb.jpg

post-5482-0-23299500-1512307446_thumb.jpg

That looks like a late 70s or early 80s suit being it says Aromatic Polymide. Being round that patch could have been from someone that was part of the OV-1 Mohawk section at Rucker for the Aviators Qualification Course. Back then the name tag for the Army would be the leather one.

The 136th Transportation Co. (Ch-47) is out of Navy Dallas.We were Det.1 out of Ellington in Houston.They are still there as far as I know.They and us had a round patch that size with a Chinook on it.But like mohawkALSE says, that is a Rucker patch on the left shoulder.A Texas Guard unit wouldn't wear that patch.I looked at my pictures and up until 86 we were wearing the 2 piece brown nomex along with the CWU 27/P. I beleive we had to switch over to the CWU 27/P in 86.From then on no more 2 piece. 1984 is the earliest picture I have with us wearing a CWU 27/P,so I guess we had a couple of years to change over.Anyway,when I saw that flight suit I thought it might be from that guard unit up there(except for that Rucker patch).

Another feature that was around in the late 1980s was the flap over the pen pocket on the sleeve. The suit in the OP doesn't appear to have it (we often cut them off)