75th Signal Company DI

viper8866

Ive had a pair of these 75th Signal Company DIs for many years now but have never been able to ascertain their provenance. They are extremely well made (like jeweler quality) pin backs with no hallmarks. Only a handful of these DIs are known to exist. Comments?

post-9268-0-83054400-1512245446_thumb.jpeg

The 1985 ASMIC Signal Corps DI catalog (compiled by the late Col. David S. Kyle) shows this as 75th Signal Co, Air Ground Liaison. It also says only two known to exist, and that it may be an E Class. E Class means made from an authentic drawing, official blazon, and/or existing die by a private individual for sale to collectors. The info also questions as to time frame, possibly 1960s-80, but not mention the attachment type. I can find info on a WW II 75th Signal Co (Special) that served in the Aleutians and Pacific, but that brief hx is all I could find. Not sure if same unit as your DI.

This is the only info I could find, and perhaps another member has better info.

Yes, I know ASMIC position that these could be class E insignia but that’s just speculation. Most of the fake DI’s made for collectors ar easily identifiable as such. Even the ones made from the original molds have issues with the backings. If these are in fact fakes someone went to a lot of work and expense to produce them. I know of 4 others besides mine that exist. Too bad all the veterans of the 75th Signal are gone as they would be the best source of information!

I received a few queries and here’s what I know....the story goes that a guy walked into an ASMIC convention/show with 3 of these 75th Signal DI’s (Not sure of the year but it was a long time ago). They sold for $300 each! My Dad obtained these at least 40 years ago. Both Jay Massaro and Dave Kyle had the DI’s and invested many hours researching the pieces. No luck on origin though. The DI’s were definitely made in the US (not cheap Asian manufacture) by a professional shop. They certainly do not look like typical Signal insignia based on the colors and the design is unusual. That’s all I have on them.