St. Mihiel Medal and 48 Stars Medal

These are WWI period medals that I have had for a while and have never been able to figure out just what they are. The first two are the same design, the large one is 2 5/8 inches across and is made of silver and has a mint mark on the edge, the small one is bronze with a split broach and locking pin. The inscription on the back is in both English and French and reads "12&13 Sept 1918 The American Troops operating victoriously in the St Mihel Section broke the resistance of the enemy and captured 13,300 prisoners". Dose anyone know anything about these, who made them or who they were for, maybe a souvenir that had to be purchased? I actually got these at different times and places so if they are a set I did not get them that way.

post-55-1171861034.jpg

The next one is very dark bronze with Gen Pershing on the front and the back reads "THE 48 STARS" and has Victory spelled out in stars. It has a split broach with an open catch.

post-55-1171861629.jpg

The St. Mihiel Medal is a commemorative medal similar to the more common Verdun Medal and less common Chateau-Thierry Medal. A small donation, used in reconstruction of the area, got the medal and a document.

I've had the "48 Stars" medal in groups from Illinois. Some evidence points to one of the Chicago newspapers being the source for the medal, but I've never seen documentary evidence to prove it.