Post Your 63rd Infantry Division Uniforms

ryanduggerr

ryanduggerr- My Dad served in the 63rd in WW2. The uniform is long gone, but have you ever researched the 63rd Inf Div website.

It's the most comprehensive site ever. Every soldier who ever served is listed by name, photographs, from Camp Van Dorn, European

Campaigns, Post War Occupation duty. It is really great, a few years back I found a gentleman who actually served with my Dad.

He knew a lot about about the family which verified he was legit. Check it out if you had not already done so. SKIP

Here is a group that I own. Eugene Hair was a pre war National Guardsman, and spent the majority of the war stateside in the Coastal Artillery Corps. Late in the war when the final push was needed, he was reclassified as a rifleman and shipped overseas, now attached to the 253rd Infantry Regiment. On April 21st, 1945 somewhere in Germany, Hair was severely wounded by German machine gun fire in the back, buttocks and shoulder. He was evacuated to a field hospital for treatment.

Private Hair was on board a Curtiss C-46 ambulance flight on May 6, 1945, which was supposed to make a stop over at RAF Greenham Common when the crew encountered low visibility with clouds to 600 feet upon descent. The aircraft struck a radar antenna and lost its right wing, and upon crashing burst into flames, killing all 30 on board and one person inside of a hut located on Mt. Gibbet.

post-104906-0-24443700-1512175740_thumb.jpg

Original 1947 dated letter from the War Department to Private Hair's sister detailing where her brother was buried (Cambridge Cemetery)

post-104906-0-45853600-1512175876_thumb.jpg

A 1976 dated letter from the American Battle Monuments Commision to Private Hair's cousin, again detailing where he was buried, and also included a large poster of the cemetery as well as an original Polaroid picture of his gravestone

post-104906-0-26843500-1512176026_thumb.jpg

And finally a gruesome but necessary part of his story, a selection from his personnel file detailing the circumstances of death including the condition of his body. Pvt. Hair was awarded the Purple Heart and Combat Infantryman Badge

post-104906-0-82505200-1512176238.jpg

post-104906-0-94320600-1512176258_thumb.jpg

Original 1947 dated letter from the War Department to Private Hair's sister detailing where her brother was buried (Cambridge Cemetery)

This is awesome history with this!

If you ever want to pass it on let me know!

I really like it, but i have been downsizing a bit. Don't plan to cut it loose I the short term, but I'll let you know if i do.

Here's a 63rd enlisted Ike I picked up at an auction recently. It was missing ribbon bars so the ones on there now are placeholders until I can get a couple more. No Id, unfortunately.

post-167017-0-25556200-1512868028_thumb.jpg

Any laundry number? Heck, I'll see what i can find for you if you can track down the estate.

Unfortunately there are no markings and it came from a collector downsizing his collection. He didnt remember details of where he got it or who it belonged to as he had owned it for a number of years.