M40 & MCU-2/P Gas Mask Carrier

ECHOROMEO

Yes, The MCU carrier has like a half circle reinforced structure to it on both sides. Both the early M40 carrier and the current M40 carrier have different shapes. Current M40 carrier has no structure to its sides either like the early one did giving it that rigid look, just a soft nylon bag.

More often than not, the MCU carrier is unmarked.

I never see MCU carriers marked in person, while I have seen a few online marked.

The M40 carrier is always marked and yes they are a little different.

Dan

Thank you, so let me see if I'm getting this right:

Old M40 carrier, rounded bottom shape, plastic reinforcement.

eFI9IbK.jpg

pkjWk3e.jpg

New M40 carrier, square bottom shape, no plastic reinforcement.

MYGucUD.jpg

NN5zG8h.jpg

What about the MCU carrier?

I think that might be a newer MCU carrier there if its unmarked. Ill have to dig out my current M40 case but I don't think it has a big velcro internal pocket. I know it has like 3 or 4 smaller pockets inside. And of course is marked M40 etc on the outside.

Thank you, if you have the time could you post some photos? I'm still a little confused about the differences between the two.

I have a bunch of M40 and M42 masks and carriers, but I don't own a single MCU-2/P or MCU-2A/P :dry:

That needs to change :D

After looking around online, I think the only major difference is the M40 carriers have 3 pockets inside and the MCU has one pocket inside.

What does everyone think?

Dan

Thats what I'm thinking. Looks like they made a newer bag for the MCU that externally looks similar to the new M40 bag but its sterile and also has the large internal pocket like the old MCU carrier did where one of the plastic reinforcements was. As one50 said the new M40 bags have 3 smaller pockets inside to put the outsert lenses and the -10 in. The new M40 bag is marked US and Mask, M40 Series.

I'm not sure what the inside of the old M40 carrier is like as I don't have one but the shape and setup of it in general is different than the current style. The external pocket is in a slightly different spot, looks to have side reinforcements and has the plastic ID pocket. Was also marked for M40 and M42 masks. They later came out with a larger bag for the M42 and M45 series masks that have hoses etc, and then the new M40 carrier only says M40 series. Here is one I saw on ebay to show the old M40 carrier for reference:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Military-Gas-Mask-Carrier-Bag-Pouch-M40-M42-Olive-Drab-Green-EUC/322920565427?hash=item4b2f90cab3:g:h5MAAOSw-jFaJKl2

The M40 was used from 1987 to 1994.

Few were issued in the 80's and not until the early 90's did the military release them when they had sufficient quantities.

The earliest M40 I have is dated 1992, but it included a manual dated June 1988.

That's a pretty early manual, in my opinion.

In the manual it specifically mentions the 3 inner pockets and the drawing of an open carrier shows the 3 inner pockets.

Basically one pocket is for the decam paper, one is for the manual, one is for the water proof bags.

I'm guessing the M40 carrier had 3 inner pockets from day one.

I'm leaning towards the 2 carriers above are for the MCU-2/P

Hope this info helps you out a little more.

Dan

The M40 was used from 1987 to 1994.

Are you sure? If I'm not mistaken the M50 started replacing the M40 and MCU-2/P only from 2010 onward.

Anyway I thought I'd share these photos I found the other day. Surprisingly this one is stamped, looks like the MCU-2/P carrier has only two pockets on the inside as opposed to the three of the M40 carrier.

Ap2Ver6.jpg

8JnHKtC.jpg

yMmPyyc.jpg

Are you sure? If I'm not mistaken the M50 started replacing the M40 and MCU-2/P only from 2010 onward.

Positive!!

Remember...a bunch of us on this site are purists...I'm one of them. B)

The M40 is indeed from 87-94

The M40A1 is from 1992 - 2010

The A1 got ya....

I didn't mention the A1 as we weren't really talking about it.

BUT.....yes, the army has used the M40 and M40A1 well after the M50 came out.

The dates above are more production dates not necessarily use dates.

Thanks for the pic of the carrier.

Dan

Remember...a bunch of us on this site are purists...I'm one of them. B)

Let me finish this thought, as it was an open ended comment.

What I meant by the quote above is that some of us are concerned only about the "numbers".

Production dates, models and series numbers, how to decipher the "codes" etc.

But the numbers don't tell us the actual use in most cases.

As is the case here, I gave you production dates, and you were looking for use dates.

Just wanted to clarify what I meant by the "purist" comment.

Thanks

Dan

No worries, as a matter of fact thank you for pointing that out as I was not aware of the M40A1 variant.

I'm guessing only the very early MCU-2/P carriers were marked as this is the first one I've seen and it has a 1986 contract date.

• 2 months later...

Anyway I thought I'd share these photos I found the other day. Surprisingly this one is stamped, looks like the MCU-2/P carrier has only two pockets on the inside as opposed to the three of the M40 carrier.

Ap2Ver6.jpg

8JnHKtC.jpg

yMmPyyc.jpg

Let me finish this thought, as it was an open ended comment.

What I meant by the quote above is that some of us are concerned only about the "numbers".

Production dates, models and series numbers, how to decipher the "codes" etc.

But the numbers don't tell us the actual use in most cases.

As is the case here, I gave you production dates, and you were looking for use dates.

Just wanted to clarify what I meant by the "purist" comment.

Thanks

Dan

I can tell you with 100% certainty that I had the MCU 2/P in the Navy from 1992 to 1996..

Kris,

Thanks for your service.

The Navy started phasing out the MCU-2/P in the early 90's

It was replaced by the MCU-2A/P.....this version added a microphone connector.

Do you recall if your mask had the mic connector or not?

The carrier version stayed the same for both masks.

Kris,

Thanks for your service.

The Navy started phasing out the MCU-2/P in the early 90's

It was replaced by the MCU-2A/P.....this version added a microphone connector.

Do you recall if your mask had the mic connector or not?

The carrier version stayed the same for both masks.

Thanks! BEST years of my life!

I probably got mine in 1993 when I reported aboard CVN-73. I will always remember the P spoken out as Papa, as in MCU-Two-Papa..I don't recall an Alpha ever being said..but we were just one command among many!

And I only recall the straw, no mic attachment.Lots of training with them..LOTS! We did numerous CBR drills..lots of MOPP level training. Simulations of some extremely dire situations!! I was out in '96..so maybe full integration hadn't happened yet.

In fact..I recall there was at least one or more knucklehead that would start doing a Darth Vader impersonation as soon as we were masked up..but no mics..everyone sounded muffled LOL!

But as for a mic connector..I surely don't recall..

• 2 years later...
On 12/3/2017 at 10:12 AM, ECHOROMEO said:

Thank you, so let me see if I'm getting this right:

Old M40 carrier, rounded bottom shape, plastic reinforcement.

eFI9IbK.jpg

pkjWk3e.jpg

New M40 carrier, square bottom shape, no plastic reinforcement.

MYGucUD.jpg

NN5zG8h.jpg

What about the MCU carrier?

About what year was the new style M40 bag introduced? I have the newer bag and I'm not sure if it would be correct for 2003 or not. Thanks.