My New A2 Jacket

cmt04444

I just picked this guy up, the back is a little worn in places, but if it was mint it would have been way out of my range. James Cannon flew 100 combat missions in both Europe and the Pacific, was awarded the DSC, DFC, Air Medal, Silver Star, Purple Heart, and Bronze star. The jacket came with some period photos, flight logs, and award citations. I feel like this belongs in a museum. He shot down numerous ships and planes.

post-133657-0-65296400-1512075380_thumb.jpg

post-133657-0-17962100-1512075389_thumb.jpg

CNY Militaria

Nice! I remember seeing this at MAX a couple years ago. Shame about the paint loss, butt he history is staggering!

Excellent jacket

Note the crease in the lower center back

Looks like the upper and lower artwork was scrubbed off at some point...wonder what was added to the lower section after the original pics were taken...

I am thinking this jacket received some post war wear by the vet or other family member

And agreed it does belong in a museum...

post-155518-0-58032600-1512143226.jpg

post-155518-0-03366400-1512143231.jpg

• 3 months later...

As far as a 2 jackets go i would say yours is top of the line , as artistic appeal and as a historical jacket, ww2 classic , thank you for sharing with all ,Gerard

Why did it turn into this mess ?

This jacket is definitely NOT a "mess." Fantastic jacket with unquestionable provenance. Outstanding jacket!! Kammo Man, I'm guessing your first language is not American English, so that might explain your use of the word "mess." to describe this jacket.

Steve

Great jacket! Do you have a war time view of the front? Would be a good one to have re-created on a new jacket for display/wear to bring out all the details.

P.S.- the helmets in the background ain't bad either - LOL !

In my opinion this jackets painting was turned into a mess by a human hand.

Deliberately erasing the painting with an unknown abrasive has just ruined the painting into a mess.

English is my first language so don't assume its not because I am not full of oooohas and aaaaahas.

I only see a once amazing piece of history ruined by short sightedness.

kammo-man, I see you live in Weirdville??????? That Mess you are referring to belonged to a War Hero. I sure wish it was in my collection. Pony.

I also like it, despite the damage. Really, it's not that beat up. But of course, it would have been spectacular without the damage.

I've got a number of items that aren't in the greatest of shape, but because of the level of "salt", they were affordable. Even if this jacket had no history, it would still have not-insignificant value IMHO.

No offense here guys, but it belongs right where it is. In the hands of a collector who cares a lot more about it than any museum ever would. I'm not a big fan of museums as I personally know 2 different people who over the years literally made a living off of buying from museum curators and then reselling the items they had bought which was given in good faith by a family member at some point. Museums are like icebergs, you only see maybe 5% of what they really have in their possession. They only use a tiny portion of their inventory for display and the rest is stored NEVER to see the light of day again until sold at an auction or by a crooked curator who needs a little walking around cash.

I went to an auction a few years back that was selling a large collection of military items. When I got there I noticed every item had some type of inventory tag so I asked the auctioneer. He told me the stuff had been consigned by a large museum about 100 miles away!! They didn't want to sell it locally as they were afraid somebody may recognize something that had been donated!!

kammo-man, I see you live in Weirdville??????? That Mess you are referring to belonged to a War Hero. I sure wish it was in my collection. Pony.

And I see you live in up state NY.

So whats your point?

• 2 weeks later...

Agree wholeheartedly about museums. I have several similar stories about them but still many families and even vets think they are going to be immortalized if they donate their items to a museum. I would say it is less likely that a curator is crooked (though it happens) and more that selling off objects, while possibly breaking up groupings, is how they fund purchases of their latest area of interest.

It doesn't appear that the wear on the rear of this A-2 is intentional - just bizarre wear.

Dave

Austin_Militaria

I have to agree with Kammo-man. The jacket is a mess. Someone scrubbed this jacket for some reason, sorry but wear could not cause the upper part to become worn like that.

Yes it is an historical piece. A proper museum might be able to archive it correctly, but I think at this point the photographs have more historical significance then the jacket does and they will far out live any piece of leather. Collecting leather items is a here and now artifact, a thousand years from now it will no longer be here. Unless you have the money to properly archive it (which no one on this forum is doing), it will turn to dust. So stop with the "Collectors are preserving history", your just a temporary owner and each time it gets passed on the more it fades and falls apart.

It has been spoken. Will sell my jackets ASAP.

Why does your blog say, "Preserving the history of American Military Artifacts through collecting..." if collectors are not preserving anything. Just curious.

Dave

Austin_Militaria

I was referring to the preservation of this jacket. To help keep it preserved it would need to be put away and removed from the elements (which some museums do). Even then it will eventually fade and then completely fall apart.

It has been spoken. Will sell my jackets ASAP.

Why does your blog say, "Preserving the history of American Military Artifacts through collecting..." if collectors are not preserving anything. Just curious.

Dave