64th Topographic Engineer Ike with Japanese made insigni

VenitHora

​Here is my Ike jacket from a member of the 64th Topographic Engineers. I believe the 64th was in the Marianas and the Philippines before going to Tokyo for the Occupation.

post-8296-0-47532900-1512026903.png

The odd thing I see is the wearing of pairs of collar brass on the lapels and the DUIs on the shoulder straps. This was done, I think, from 1948 to around 1951. For WW2, the DUIs for EM should be on the lower lapels and a single "U.S." disk and Branch of Service disk on the upper lapels. How long was the "Ruptured Duck" discharge patch used and when did the "T" chevrons ceased to be worn?

VolunteerArmoury

The odd thing I see is the wearing of pairs of collar brass on the lapels and the DUIs on the shoulder straps. This was done, I think, from 1948 to around 1951. For WW2, the DUIs for EM should be on the lower lapels and a single "U.S." disk and Branch of Service disk on the upper lapels. How long was the "Ruptured Duck" discharge patch used and when did the "T" chevrons ceased to be worn?

If I recall correctly the Technician ranks went away in 48. Perhaps a window that double BOS were worn and DUIs moved to the shoulders? I believe the Honorable Service was awarded through 46. He doesnt have a campaign medal which they were awarded through spring of 46 but the Victory Medal awarded through winter of 46-if he has a combat patch wouldnt he have a campaign medal? Im not sure if Im remembering this correctly but wasnt there some confusion about the award criteria of the Ruptured Duck with it being included in regulations LONG after it ceased being issued? Seems I have a copy of an AR 670-1 from when I first enlisted in the 90s & it was still included along with the Glider Badge both indicating provisions to at the time still technically being able to be awarded even though they obviously werent. I suspect this guy either didnt understand the regs or didnt adhere closely.

Well here's a Tech with the quad collar discs, there more floating around. The wear of the quad discs start in December 1946, and Tech ranks go out sometime in 1948.

post-1761-0-18433200-1440075920.jpg