Help Date GENTEX SPH-4 US Army Colonel Helo Pilot Helmet

mds308

This SPH-4 Gentex helmet belonged to a US Army helicopter Pilot who flew from Vietnam through Desert Storm. I don't think he made Colonel during Vietnam but could have used the same helmet. The helmet was found in a 1970 dated helmet bag. Perhaps a helmet-bag marriage. The Gentex foil tag has no dates. Any help would be appreciated.

post-165739-0-94982100-1511813781.jpg

post-165739-0-16113700-1511813793.jpg

The helmet is post-Vietnam. I don't recall the exact date but the VN-era helmets had leather reinforcing under the snaps.

The velcro on the visor suggests 1980s-era NVG use. There would also be a velcro panel on the back of the helmet.

I believe the number of snaps was reduced from 3/side to 2/side towards the end of the SPH-4 run. I'm also pretty sure the two-snap chinstrap snap was a postwar development, as well

Check the inside of the shell forward of the earcups. Gentex was pretty good with labels -- a white one with the contract number, size, etc would be in that area

This photo is from another thread. Looks similar to yours
http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads//monthly_02_2012/post-2757-1329185521.jpg

I'm pretty sure the SPH-4 was the standard helmet during Desert Storm (excluding AH-64 crews). If yours has the surgical tubing, it would be pre-Desert Storm. I'm pretty sure the entire Army was using the flip-up ANVIS 6 goggles by then

During the mid-80's, this was the typical NVG rig. Not fun wearing it
http://i43.tinypic.com/ajsduc.jpg

Thanks FtrPlt,

Awesome picture. The other thing that throws me is the foil label. No date code, no size and no Mil-Spec info. I appreciate the help. I'm getting it ready for eBay.

Seeing that foil label leads me to believe that was one of the SPH-4s that was made between a 1978-1986 range, and by a sub contractor other than Gentex. The Astrocom Electronics made helmets from the 1978 contract had the Gentex lot number label like this one. If you look closely on the inside of the shell towards the rear you might find a ink stamped contract number stamped right on the shell. My 87 contract SPH-4 not only has the white label with the usual contract info, but also that ink stamped contract on the inside back left.

That dual chin strap came out on the 78 helmets I believe, everything before that was the old leather covered Vietnam style. They went through 3 different chin straps on the SPH-4 due to safety issues in ranges like 1969-1974( single snap each side), 1974-1978 (dual snap each side) and then 1978 to the end of the SPH-4 (screw and T nut on one side and dual snaps on the other). The SPH-4B came out with a whole new chin strap design in 1991.

I'm not sure of the dates, but the lining (bump protection) may give you a clue-- by the late 1980s, we were retrofitting most SPH-4s with thermoplastic liners rather than the solid styrofoam cushion shown on this one. This was done at local level, and individually fitted to the wearer. From this and the NVG mounting tape, I would assume early 1980s.