Unknown US Aircraft Instrument Panel

McDermut99

This instrument panel has been in a local antique store for a couple years now, just sitting at the bottom of a shelf. I’ve always wondered about it and finally got around to getting some pictures of it. I have very little if any knowledge about US aircraft instrumentation. That being said I’m guessing the panel came out of a interwar training aircraft, judging by the lack of sophistication and that one of the gauges is marked “Aviation Section US Signal Corps”. I’ve eyed it in the past to buy but never have asked the owner how much (which may be the reason it’s still there). Either way I figured the aircraft and instrument collecting crowds would be interested in seeing this. Any more light that could be shed on this panel would be great as well!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Some of that hardware, especially the Phillips head screws look much newer than the panel and instruments in it. I wonder if someone had a partial panel and added filler instruments later?

very early...........i'd go for it if it wasn't too expensive but I know how antique shops can be

That is uber cool, be interesting to hear how much it is.

I'd love to know the asking price !

Thanks for the comments so far! I stopped by the store again and asked him how much he wanted for it and he said $750. Not my area of expertise but it seems pretty high. He claimed it came from a 1930s PT Stearman, which seems highly unlikely.

• 1 year later...

I think it's worth at least $750, even if some of the instruments had been added later the value of each instrument would make it ok... The compass alone would sell for at least $400 as would the altimeter and RPM meter...… what might be even more interesting is the mounted pocket watch… if it is an issue timepiece.

I'd buy it even if it was to pass it onto someone who collects or restores antique aircraft.

cheers, John

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2017 at 2:07 PM, McDermut99 said:

Thanks for the comments so far! I stopped by the store again and asked him how much he wanted for it and he said $750. Not my area of expertise but it seems pretty high. He claimed it came from a 1930s PT Stearman, which seems highly unlikely.

Good morning, could you please tell me if above instrument panel is still available for sale? I am looking for a couple of WW! aeroplane instruments at I would be willing to acquire the dashboard. Many thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2020 at 10:22 AM, Carlo said:

Good morning, could you please tell me if above instrument panel is still available for sale? I am looking for a couple of WW! aeroplane instruments at I would be willing to acquire the dashboard. Many thanks.

Hello! I haven't checked recently but last time I was in that antique store it was still there at the same price. However since about March this year the store has had paper over the windows and a "By appointment only" sign put up. The owner is probably in his 60s or 70s so maybe he's had issues. I plan on trying to get an appointment later in December and see if the panel is still available.

Good afternoon

and many thanks for your reply; i am still interested, so that i would appreciate if you could let me know. I am based in Aventura, FL and therefore i would need the panel to be sent by courier ( for which i would pay together with the panel).