The Original First US Military Aviators - Reference Thread

I'd like to know Maj. McLeary's inclusive years of service, and his town, state, and date/year of birth if anyone knows, please.

How he died is certainly strange.

For what reason, if anyone knows, is Capt. Joseph C. Morrow so difficult to trace?

Could there have been a typographical mistake confusing him with John H. Morrow?

For what reason, if anyone knows, is Capt. Joseph C. Morrow so difficult to trace?

Could there have been a typographical mistake confusing him with John H. Morrow?

Bluehawk: Joseph C. Morrow, Jr. didn’t leave much of a footprint but here is what I have. He graduated from the USMA in the class of 1909 and went into the infantry. He was assigned to aviation 15 May 1913, qualified as a MA on 27 December 1913. He was a Wright pilot during the period when you were either a Wright or a Curtiss pilot based on which airplane you learned to fly in. In March 1914 he went with Foulois, Taliaferro, Carberry, and Dodd to Galveston, Texas where they spent four months. He was a major with the Air Service, AEF in England December 1917- June 1918. Then as a lieutenant colonel he was Chief Air Service, 3rd Corps, First Army September-October 1918. Promoted to colonel and assigned Chief Inspector, Air Service, AEF in November 1918. I have no record of him during the immediate postwar years, but he resigned in 1920, was reappointed on 15 April 1921, and retired on 15 December 1922. He died in Washington on 17 March 1935.

If you have the details on how Samuel McLeary died, I would certainly like to read them. All I have on him is that he died on 2 July 1924. drmessimer

drmessimer,

Thank you so much for that help with Morrow.

Here is the citation for Maj. McLeary (you have his date of death correctly as 2 Jul 24, often mistaken as 18 Jul):

--------

From Arlington National Cemetery:

Samuel H. McLeary

Major, United States Army

18 July 1924: Indianapolis, Indiana:

Alleged Slayer Leads Police to Place Where Artillery Officer Was Buried.

Samuel H. McLeary, the Army Officer, whose body was found near here today, after his disappearance, while motoring alone from Norfolk, Virginia, to Fort Moultrle; came to his death from gunshot wounds inflicted by Mortimer N. King, and other parties unknown, according to findings returned by a coroner's jury late today.

King today led the police to the place where he and his companions in the murder had buried McLeary's body. The body was found almost eleven miles south of here. It was hidden under a pile of brush and had been partially eaten by birds until it was nearly undentiflable.

July Harold, 22 years old, employed by a construction company at Lockhart, South Carolina, was sought by officers here to- day as the accomplice of Mortimer H. King in the slaying of Major Samuel H. McLeary on a road hear here.

King, who is alleged to have confessed yesterday that he and his companion, whose name has been withheld by the authorities, killed Major McLeary on July 2, after he had given them a lift in his car, led the searching party to the spot where the body was found today. It lay In a densely wooded region about 150 feet from the highway near Columbia, Ohio, which the slain army officer was motoring when he was killed.

King, who is said to have a record as a deserter from both army and the marine corps, was taken to Columbia and placed in jail immediately after he had led the searching party to the final scene of the crime. The spot was where King is said to have confessed he and his companion killed the Major.

Police said the officer was shot twice, the second bullet ending his life. They pointed out that due to the remoteness only the shoes and a few scraps of clothing, so stained and soiled as to most unrecognizable, were found with the body. Miss Bonnie McLeary, a sister of the dead officer came here today but did not visit the scene of the crime.

MCLEARY, SAMUEL H

MAJ COAST ART CORPS

DATE OF DEATH: 07/02/1924

BURIED AT: SECTION S C L SITE 2259

ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY

---------

You have about what I have on McLeary from online sources. Apparently he was a very well regarded officer who was in the habit of helping others out when he could and in the case of his murder was just doing what he customarily did in offering the two thugs a ride.

Morrow died of diabetes at a relatively young age. Apparently it ran in the family as I found some information that the same disease also claimed his father's life. That could have been the cause of his early retirement. I've not found any tracks of his life in Washington, but seem to recall that he chose a pretty remote place to live.

Paul

WWI service has always been a bit confusing to me...the USA's involvement in it was so short that, for me, it has been difficult to clarify some of the roles played by the early airmen, where they performed their duties and for how long. However, this picture dated Sept. 7, 1919 clarifies one bench mark...Pershing and his staff are on their way home. I don't see any wings on any chests and don't recognize any of his air staff in this picture.

The picture is personally interesting because my grandfather returned aboard the same ship--the Leviathan--one month earlier than this picture is dated. The only reason I know that is that I found a soldier's boarding pass amongst his things when they passed to me some years ago. Otherwise he left little record of his own participation in WWI.

post-3515-1256012889.jpg

I have gotten the distinct impression that the Army and War Department, and Congress, and the American public were not thrilled about the possibilities of aeronautics in general, and military applications of it even less so - which could help explain how little is known about those earliest aviators.

It appears that "aeroplanes" were pressed into service, almost prematurely in technological terms, primarily to serve the sensible need for infantry Reconnaissance at first, at which point (not sure which came first) somebody tried to shoot down the Observers who then armed themselves to fight back thus resulting in dog fights and Fighter squadrons, and so, why not try dropping some bombs on the infantry, or maybe even strafing them. The Air Service was born...

It looks like unless pilots survived WW1 and early flights to become Army officers of some rank, then their lives were left obscure by history... 1Lt Joseph Park being another example - known primarily because he crashed and died in Los Angeles.

My conclusion is obvious to anyone who studies this era, yet the more I try to discover the personal details of these lives, the more interesting it all becomes. Putting the research to practical use in the writing of updated biographies for each of these first 25 has been extremely rewarding.

This thread has certainly been indispensable and of enormous encouragement...

I have gotten the distinct impression that the Army and War Department, and Congress, and the American public were not thrilled about the possibilities of aeronautics in general, and military applications of it even less so - which could help explain how little is known about those earliest aviators.

It appears that "aeroplanes" were pressed into service, almost prematurely in technological terms, primarily to serve the sensible need for infantry Reconnaissance at first, at which point (not sure which came first) somebody tried to shoot down the Observers who then armed themselves to fight back thus resulting in dog fights and Fighter squadrons, and so, why not try dropping some bombs on the infantry, or maybe even strafing them. The Air Service was born...

It looks like unless pilots survived WW1 and early flights to become Army officers of some rank, then their lives were left obscure by history... 1Lt Joseph Park being another example - known primarily because he crashed and died in Los Angeles.

My conclusion is obvious to anyone who studies this era, yet the more I try to discover the personal details of these lives, the more interesting it all becomes. Putting the research to practical use in the writing of updated biographies for each of these first 25 has been extremely rewarding.

This thread has certainly been indispensable and of enormous encouragement...

Bluehawk: Thank you for the information on McLeary’s death. That makes two of the MAs who were murdered, Paul Beck being the other.

You’re partially right in that there was little interest in aviation, sport or military, among the American public prior to WWI, and that lack of interest was reflected in Congress. On 4 December 1914 the House Committee on Military affairs reduced the appropriation for aviation from $1 million to $250,000, reflecting the American public’s disinterest in aviation and their determination to stay out of the European war, causing Brig. Gen. George P. Scriven, CSO, to comment, “We have either got to go ahead with aviation or stop.” Later he commented, “The public has lost interest and does not support aviation as a sport and the Government has given but little aid in developing an adjunct to the national defense.”

Actually, the Army was seriously interested in expanding the Aviation Section of the Signal Corps, but with no intent of using the airplane as an offensive weapon. Prior to our entry into the war, the U.S. Army saw only observation and artillery fire control as battlefield roles for aviation. Our involvement in the war changed that view dramatically. But even with an ongoing war in Europe, the Army, though interested in aviation, had other priorities.

Elihu Root, Secretary of War, 1898-1904, launched a general reorganization of the Army intended to advance it from a so-called “hitching post Army” to being a modern armed force capable of playing a role on the world stage. That reorganization and modernization was still ongoing when the war started in Europe. During the process, the Army’s priorities were the design, production, and procurement of artillery, infantry weapons, mechanized transportation, and ammunition. Airplanes, as yet unproven, unreliable, and with no clearly defined military role, were at the bottom of the Army’s priority list. That started to change with the advent of the 1916 Preparedness Movement and the passage of the 1916 National Defense Act.

There was a third reason for the slow development of Army aviation as an effective battlefield force, and that was the fact that the Aviation Section was a part of the Signal Corps. The problem had two aspects, mismanagement of aviation by the Signal Corps and the problem of getting company-grade officers who wanted to learn to fly. The number of line officers that could be detached to the Signal Corps for aviation duty was limited by law and the length of time they could remain on aviation duty (four years) was limited by an Army Regulation known as the “Manchu Law.”

The reasons we don't find much written about the early avaitors is becasue they were overshadowed by the prewar events that affected aviation. And there is the unfortunate truth that many of the officers who applied for detached duty to aviation before 1914 were not the bright stars of the Army, and their commanding officers endorsed their requests simply to get rid of them. That sounds like an awful thing to say when one thinks of men like Dodd, Milling, Taliaferro, and Foulois. But they were the exceptions as were a few others. The other reason we don’t hear too much about the early Army pilots is that few of them wrote any sort of memoir or accomplished things that brought them into the national lime-light, which would cause others to write about them in length. drmessimer

You all may want to check out the Order of the Daedalians http://www.daedalians.org/about/about.htm

Since this was one of the first US military fraternal groups dedicated to aviation, one would assume that they may have some information about those early aviators?

Just a thought.

Bluehawk: Thank you for the information on McLeary’s death. That makes two of the MAs who were murdered, Paul Beck being the other.

You’re partially right in that there was little interest in aviation, sport or military, among the American public prior to WWI, and that lack of interest was reflected in Congress. On 4 December 1914 the House Committee on Military affairs reduced the appropriation for aviation from $1 million to $250,000, reflecting the American public’s disinterest in aviation and their determination to stay out of the European war, causing Brig. Gen. George P. Scriven, CSO, to comment, “We have either got to go ahead with aviation or stop.” Later he commented, “The public has lost interest and does not support aviation as a sport and the Government has given but little aid in developing an adjunct to the national defense.”

Actually, the Army was seriously interested in expanding the Aviation Section of the Signal Corps, but with no intent of using the airplane as an offensive weapon. Prior to our entry into the war, the U.S. Army saw only observation and artillery fire control as battlefield roles for aviation. Our involvement in the war changed that view dramatically. But even with an ongoing war in Europe, the Army, though interested in aviation, had other priorities.

Elihu Root, Secretary of War, 1898-1904, launched a general reorganization of the Army intended to advance it from a so-called “hitching post Army” to being a modern armed force capable of playing a role on the world stage. That reorganization and modernization was still ongoing when the war started in Europe. During the process, the Army’s priorities were the design, production, and procurement of artillery, infantry weapons, mechanized transportation, and ammunition. Airplanes, as yet unproven, unreliable, and with no clearly defined military role, were at the bottom of the Army’s priority list. That started to change with the advent of the 1916 Preparedness Movement and the passage of the 1916 National Defense Act.

There was a third reason for the slow development of Army aviation as an effective battlefield force, and that was the fact that the Aviation Section was a part of the Signal Corps. The problem had two aspects, mismanagement of aviation by the Signal Corps and the problem of getting company-grade officers who wanted to learn to fly. The number of line officers that could be detached to the Signal Corps for aviation duty was limited by law and the length of time they could remain on aviation duty (four years) was limited by an Army Regulation known as the “Manchu Law.”

The reasons we don't find much written about the early avaitors is becasue they were overshadowed by the prewar events that affected aviation. And there is the unfortunate truth that many of the officers who applied for detached duty to aviation before 1914 were not the bright stars of the Army, and their commanding officers endorsed their requests simply to get rid of them. That sounds like an awful thing to say when one thinks of men like Dodd, Milling, Taliaferro, and Foulois. But they were the exceptions as were a few others. The other reason we don’t hear too much about the early Army pilots is that few of them wrote any sort of memoir or accomplished things that brought them into the national lime-light, which would cause others to write about them in length. drmessimer

drmessimer -

I had not heard before of the "Manchu Law", and can now well imagine the impact that had in addition to the several other influences you mention.

pfrost -

You may be right about Daedalians having some information, if they would share it with non-members. I can only think of two among the first 25 who were brought into the organization, one of whom was BG Lahm and the other may have been MG Fouiois; but obviously there may have been others.

I do wonder, in that they were not founded until 1932-34, how much they themselves would have remembered about some of the more obscure first 25 by then, some 20 or more years later - and, too, they kept the restriction about allowing pilots from the 1918 Armistice and earlier, I believe, almost until WWII which would have presumably further diminished memories?

I'll contact them to see what their response might be.

Here is a picture of Fulois and Pershing together, most likely in Europe during WWI, and a quote attributed to Fulois which helps highlight the level of emotion being expressed by some officers in the aviation section. Fulois ended his service as chief of the air corps during the mid-1930's.

post-3515-1256098599.jpg

Here is a picture of Fulois and Pershing together, most likely in Europe during WWI, and a quote attributed to Fulois which helps highlight the level of emotion being expressed by some officers in the aviation section. Fulois ended his service as chief of the air corps during the mid-1930's.

Quite remarkable, Paul.

Seydel is tough, so is Winder...although I did find a couple of pretty good pictures of him in the LOC collection where he was involved in a rifle sharpshooter competition. I think his father was on one of the Olympic teams as a sharpshooter, also. Not much to be found about him beyond 1912, and of all the early MA's, Winder is one of two, about whom I haven't found when he died. He did use his military training to fly as an exhibition pilot for commercial gain and apparently incurred some substantial animus from the others.

Others that I've found tough to flesh out in later life are Muller, Carberry, and Chapman.

Seydel is tough, so is Winder...although I did find a couple of pretty good pictures of him in the LOC collection where he was involved in a rifle sharpshooter competition. I think his father was on one of the Olympic teams as a sharpshooter, also. Not much to be found about him beyond 1912, and of all the early MA's, Winder is one of two, about whom I haven't found when he died. He did use his military training to fly as an exhibition pilot for commercial gain and apparently incurred some substantial animus from the others.

Others that I've found tough to flesh out in later life are Muller, Carberry, and Chapman.

Paul, would access to Ancestry.com be of any help to us in searching for these officers?

I don't subscribe to it myself, yet - but am just wondering if there might be some little thread to follow for them there.

If so, I wonder if we might impose upon the generosity of a USMF member subscriber?

One other question for you - I have Winder as a LtCol, so am assuming he either eventually became that rank, or was that rank at the time he served as a MA in the USANG.

Which, or something other, do you think is true?

Paul: We have discussed this before but I must say again that Winder was never an MA. He was a National Guard officer and not included under the Regular Army regulation that established the Military Aviator rating. In addition, he never took the MA tests. While he was at College Parlk/ Augusta, GA he completed the basic flight training program and qualified for the basic FAI pilot's certificate. He then returned to the National Guard where he used his government training to acquire an ACA`license that allowed him to compete in ACA sanctioned air meets for prize money. He styled himself as a Miitary Aviator to enhance his marketability as a show pilot, but he was never an real Military Aviator. Prior to the 1916 National Defense Act, the National Guard was a separate organization and not subject to Regular Army regulations or eligible to receive Regular Army qulaification awards. His claim to fame is that he was the first National Guard officer whom the Regular Army trained to fly, but he was never an MA. Dwight (drmessimera)

Paul: We have discussed this before but I must say again that Winder was never an MA. He was a National Guard officer and not included under the Regular Army regulation that established the Military Aviator rating. In addition, he never took the MA tests. While he was at College Parlk/ Augusta, GA he completed the basic flight training program and qualified for the basic FAI pilot's certificate. He then returned to the National Guard where he used his government training to acquire an ACA`license that allowed him to compete in ACA sanctioned air meets for prize money. He styled himself as a Miitary Aviator to enhance his marketability as a show pilot, but he was never an real Military Aviator. Prior to the 1916 National Defense Act, the National Guard was a separate organization and not subject to Regular Army regulations or eligible to receive Regular Army qulaification awards. His claim to fame is that he was the first National Guard officer whom the Regular Army trained to fly, but he was never an MA. Dwight (drmessimera)

Very interesting...

:bye1:

Paul,

I too agree primarily because if Lt. Colonel Charles B. Winder (FAI license #130) had officially qualified as a Military Aviator he would have automatically been awarded Expert Aviator certificate #7 under the rules established by the Aero Club of America.

For the record Paul W. Beck (FAI license #39) was Military Aviator #4 and Expert Aviator #6. Following Paul Beck, Benjamin D. Foulois (FAI license #140) became Military Aviator number 5 and subsequently received Expert Aviator Certificate number 7. Therefore, since Colonel Winder was never awarded an Expert Aviator certificate, that too is positive proof he never received a Military Aviator rating. So did he ever wear a MA badge anyway? We will probably never know.

One more thing, while Lt. Colonel Winder (Ohio National Guard) was the first National Guard officer trained to fly; PFC Beckwith Haven (NYNG) was the first National Guard pilot.

Cheers,

Cliff ;)

Lt. Colonel Charles B. Winder, Ohio National Guard

post-4542-1256952770.jpg

Cliff,

Do you know the birth and death places + day/month/years for Winder?

The most I can tell you about him is he was born in 1875. If it might help you, the name of his wife was Emma H. Winder, born 1886. They had two children; Mary V. Winder who was born 1906, and Marin B. Winder who was born in 1917. Officially, he completed his training at the Army Aviation School in Augusta, GA on June 5, 1912. The last known address I have on him was West Palm Beach, Florida in 1920.

:thumbsup:

The most I can tell you about him is he was born in 1875. If it might help you, the name of his wife was Emma H. Winder, born 1886. They had two children; Mary V. Winder who was born 1906, and Marin B. Winder who was born in 1917. Officially, he completed his training at the Army Aviation School in Augusta, GA on June 5, 1912. The last known address I have on him was West Palm Beach, Florida in 1920.

:thumbsup:

Thanks very much.

That's 100% more than I knew before, and is something to work with.

:twothumbup: