Need help in identifying a WWII Marine

Normandy1944

Recently, I won a USMC Service coat at an auction.

It was a plain coat, without any insignia.

When it arrived last weekend, I was surprised to see that it was named inside.

It is named to F J Baker.

On the sleeves I can see that he was promoted from PFC to Corporal.

I've never researched a marine from WWII, so is there anyone who could help me?

I found 2 entries on ancestry for an F J Baker both were in 1955 for " trainee G co. 2nd Bn 2D inf training Reg Marine corps base camp Pendleton" Baker is common name. Does your coat have a date in the sleeve? Brig post a really Good "how to research a marine" on the forum with lots of information in. Maybe someone will post a link That should help you out.

Mark

I found 2 entries on ancestry for an F J Baker both were in 1955 for " trainee G co. 2nd Bn 2D inf training Reg Marine corps base camp Pendleton" Baker is common name. Does your coat have a date in the sleeve? Brig post a really Good "how to research a marine" on the forum with lots of information in. Maybe someone will post a link That should help you out.

Mark

There's a Quartermaster stamp with 1942/1943.

I'll post a picture

I think your man is Freddie J. Baker enlisted in early 1943 and served with VMSB-241 and other squadrons. He may have gotten commissioned in the early 1950 and served until February 1970.

• 6 months later...
Bruce Linz

The Marine, Baker, F.J., that wore this WW2 uniform could not be the same Marine who won the Silver Star and whose citation is in the Military Times Hall of Valor. That Marine Fred J. Baker received the Silver Star in 1967 while he was a Marine Lance Corporal in Vietnam. The Marine who wore the uniform jacket you own would have been an officer or senior NCO by 1967. Your question was also answered by a forum member in post #2 in this thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/310298-usmc-jacket-for-wwii-eto-uniform-request-from-little-brother/&do=findComment&comment=2493543

Bruce Linz

It is hard to say. With only a common last name, like Baker, and his initials to go by finding the right Marine will be difficult. Yes, my best guess is the Freddie J. Baker in post #6. Good luck with your research.