USAF Headset Wire Boom Question

rje71

Maybe a strange question but anyone know by chance when H-157a/aic headset started to use the wire boom for the mic that had the pivot/swivel in it as apposed to the straight one ?

Robert

post-2222-0-83263700-1511663373.jpg

post-2222-0-75807000-1511663391.jpg

Id say early 70s. I'm not 100% on that for the USAF headsets but for the SPH-4 helmet 1971 was the first contract for them to do away with the screw joint vs the newer round ball joint. That lower shorter boom you showed is generally for a size Regular SPH-4 or a Medium HGU-55/P. The longer ones were for XL SPH or Large and XL HGUs. I think the headsets usually used the silver color ones as well. The H-157, and HGU-7 that I have had the silver booms as well as being the long boom for headsets.

MohawkAlse, thanks for the reply and for the info ! So I am guessing that a new issue USAF H-157 headset in the 72/73 time frame may have included the new pivot/ball joint type boom . ( The silver one of course :) those were the best picks I would find the black ones ) .

Robert

PS: one other question for anyone, is it possible to determine the production date of a H-157 ? I have one with a MFG date on it 82872. But I seem to see others with this same date ?

That number your posting I believe is the MFG number, like what a CAGE code would be today. I looked it up in a CAGE search and it sure came back as Roanwell Corp and still active. Ive def seen that number on my H-157 headband and the ear cup seals etc. The H-157 I have I cant recall if there was a contract number on it but it sure had the silver ball socket type boom.