what was your best purchase for the year?

mortaydc60

The year is almost over and now we can look back and think about what our best purchase was for the year. My best purchase though not Army but Marine was a set of Samoan Lava Lava patches. Been looking for these for years and you just never see available and apparently only a handfull even exist. For Army my best buys were a Free Thai and 674 abn bullion patches. Lets hear about yours.

My best purchases this year weren't anything fancy or rare but I was able to pick up a 100th Division WIA Ike jacket (a first for me) and just last weekend picked up my first piece of field gear (a late WWII pistol belt/canteen/first aid pouch set). I never had an interest in field gear before but since getting it I think it may have triggered a new collecting bug, so it may lead to more next year and further research and learning. Also, not a purchase, but I received a few small items from my grandfathers WWII service that my dad gave me (CIB, ribbon bars, collar disks) that is important to me.

MilRGRHistory

My 4th Ranger Battalion WWII veteran and 6th Infantry veteran jacket. I wore a Ranger Scroll as my combat patch when I commanded in the 6th Infantry so this jacket has a lot of meaning for me.

post-153545-0-59837100-1511561768_thumb.jpg

This Korean War era 4th Chemical Smoke Generating Company patch was probably the best deal I had this year. The seller had it misidentified and I was able to pick up for a great price :)

post-2744-0-61652700-1511571016.jpg

BigDogMilitaria

My best pickup this year and one of my favorite things I've ever had in the collection, out of the woodwork 2 weeks after I got back from SOS having sold a good chunk of my AAC collection there

post-52765-0-83299400-1511582874_thumb.jpg

My best find this year was a Korean War M1 helmet with painted Sergeant markings. While not in the best condition, it is my first and only painted helmet and I got it for such a great price I am really happy to have a painted helmet as some collectors go through a lifetime of collecting without one.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/299221-m1-helmet-with-seargent-markings-and-more/

Better pictures on post #14.

Thanks for looking, and here is to 2018!

Hunt

Screamingeagles101

My favorite pick up would be this beautiful set:

Mint schlueter fixed bail with early high pressure liner(unpainted A washers)

Posted Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ww2guymandude

Definitely my best purchase of the year, and best purchase of all my years of collecting. Sold it awhile ago, but still thought I’d share it anyway.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its hard to tell what my favorite buy this year is, I've had a large number of good buys. In fact, this has been one of my best buying years in a few. Plus there is still a whole month left.

First picture top few rows are mostly Hashimoto with a printed silk China Combat Command, GI modified 7th Armor Division, 46th General Hospital, OD Border 1st Service Command, 88th INF BN Heavy Mortar set and GI modified AA Command.

Second photo has 742nd, Armored BN, and some German made bullion pieces, some nice 34th ID's.

Really glad I finally found a U.S.S. Collett patch. My grandpa was the Skipper of the ship and was instrumental in the design on the insignia. I've been emailing another officer who served under him to get more information on story behind the session that led to the patch.

Cant wait to see what 2018 will bring and the first chance will be SOS.

post-5665-0-40481500-1512098617_thumb.jpg

post-5665-0-78707900-1512098624_thumb.jpg

2017 was a great year for buying. I was able to move some of my German items and buy some pieces that I have always wanted for my collection. My favorite piece I would say is this 551st pocket patch.

post-4979-0-02674900-1512102559.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

I had a multi-year 'quest' to locate this rare unauthorized M-16 CIB:

post-159798-0-18731900-1512146882.jpg

Thanks to an esteemed Forum member for trading with me.

Grant you made a great buy! Can not get better than that. ASMIC 2971 did well also with some real nice finds. Hope he stops by my tables at the SOS and add to his collection.

My best? Maybe this one......Lt. General Blackshear M. Bryan's bullion 3d Light Aviation Section patch. I believe the "Jackson Flight" is taken from the I Corps HQ designation of Task Force Jackson while fighting around the Pusan perimeter.

post-359-0-42385900-1512693685_thumb.jpg

....or this one. Maj. General Joseph Jaggers bullion 75th RCT patch and name tag. After the Korean War, Gen. Jaggers (then Capt.) was the CO of Company G.

post-359-0-66496200-1512694347_thumb.jpg