USMC R Korean War KIA Purple Heart, 1LT William Howard Kuller (Ebay sale 11/4/17)

aerialbridge

This Type II USN/USMC Purple Heart to a Korean War "Killed in Action" first lieutenant sold on Ebay as a "buy it now" at 1424 on 11/4/17. Medal came from a seller on Hilton Head Island, SC. Clean example of an authentic, officially engraved KIA Purple Heart medal that doesn't come up often. Posted as a reference for the medal type and in memory of 1LT William Howard Kuller, USMCR, (born 17 Jun 1925 Clifton, NJ - died 8 Jul 1951 Korea) A native of New Jersey and graduate of Georgia Tech, '49.

post-18406-0-15773800-1511408856_thumb.jpg

First Lieutenant Kuller was a member of Company C, 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, 1st Marine Division. He was Killed in Action while fighting the enemy in Korea on July 8, 1951. He was awarded the Purple Heart, the Combat Action Ribbon, the Korean Service Medal, the United Nations Service Medal, the National Defense Service Medal and the Korean War Service Medal. There location of his interment is unknown.

firefighter, I found that site and this from it- "I was with 1st LT Kuller when he got killed on July 8 1951. I was wounded at the same time. I would be more happy to talk with Lt Kuller Family.

Submission 2756 - 1999-11-28 00:00:00.0 - By PAUL HOBAN"
I speculate that Lt Kuller has no living family beyond distant relations. Apparently, he and his young wife had no children and she probably remarried soon after his death like a lot of young war widows. The article I posted said he had a doctor brother in New Jersey. My speculation is the doctor brother retired to very nice and pricey, Hilton Head Island, SC and this may have come from his estate. (Wish my regular, middle class, folks hadn't sold their acre lot and townhouse there in the 70's, but who knew.) Although I wasn't the fortunate collector that bought Kuller's PH on ebay, it's about the history and you don't have to own the medal to have interest or want to discover that history and preserve it. Unfortunately, when I googled Mr. Hoban, hoping to contact him and save some living history, I discovered that he had passed away a few years ago. What a difference 10, 5 or even 3 years makes, as far as the rapidly dwindling ranks of WW2 and Korean vets who lived it.

• 11 months later...

Yes, a forum member owns it. The engraving is very unusual, but matches that of USMC Silver Star engraving of the same time period.

historyrecovered

I meant I see it for sale currently elsewhere (the Purple heart). I came across this article when researching it. Interesting medal ! Thanks for the information and connection

historyrecovered

I meant I see it for sale currently elsewhere (the Purple heart). I came across this article when researching it. Interesting medal ! Thanks for the information and connection

I was actually the first person to buy this medal off eBay... About a week before the above listing.

I showed it to a few experts on here and they did not like the engraving style... They all said the engraving wasn't matching to those of the period... So I returned it to the seller and he gave me a refund. He later relisted it for $100 more than what I paid and it sold on eBay that same day.

I'm guessing the new owner might have also found out the engraving is a bit unusual/suspicious and is moving it...

Sad to see it get bounced around...

I was the person who bought it on Ebay and traded it to the collector in Michigan. I had no issues with the engraving and either does he.

Kurt

"The engraving is very unusual, but matches that of USMC Silver Star engraving of the same time period." that expert opinion would be enough for me, rather than stigmatize it with the scarlett "S". I was happy to be high bid on a "Suspicious Sampson" several years ago off ebay that had been panned here but was true blue and an unusual engagement variant. Definitely put a damper on the bidding competition and I was surprised that the low bid I put on it stood for a day or two and wasn't sniped. I would have bought this PH at $325 on ebay and still own it.

Kurt and I discussed this medal at length when he got it. I was very, very skeptical of it and told him initially that I didn't like it. It wasn't until we found matching engraving on the USMC Silver Stars that I became convinced that this is a legit piece. I think it might have been an engraving error when it was done, but no one will know for sure. I have never seen another one engraved like this, but based on the legwork that's been done on the medal to confirm the engraving, I do believe it's an officially engraved USMC Purple Heart from the Korean War.