Memphis Belle and Shoo Shoo together May 17 2018

phantomfixer

For all of us Fortress fans...these two 91st BG veterans will be rolled out side by side (my understanding) May 17th, 2018...
At the USAF Museum Ohio
Then, Shoo Shoo will be transported to Washington DC...
So these two will never, in the foreseeable future, be side by side again
Would be nice to have The Swoose there too...

Tony Starcer did the nose art on the Belle and Shoo Shoo during WWII, the Belle retains it's original artwork, and he also painted/repainted the artwork on Shoo Shoo for it's restoration

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/memphis-belle-display-air-force-museum-2018/xkJg6sCmeIi4qYR4Nk96WI/

post-155518-0-00765300-1511356930_thumb.jpg

post-155518-0-86977300-1511356936_thumb.jpg

u have insider info??? please share : ) ..I will be coming as a spectator/admirer...so if there is anyway to avoid the crowds that would be awesome

so there will be many more 17s from Grimes field...this is truly a once in a life time event...at least for me...

post-155518-0-13129800-1511365228_thumb.jpg

I just talked to one of the Champaign guys at the end of the summer. I only get 3 personal days a school year and already burned one for ovms wilmington. I think I'll call someone at Champaign and try to get the lowdown. They hosted a ton of B25s a few years ago and i drive the hundred and some miles with my kids to see them only to find out they'd all went to Dayton. Not very well publicized back then, and i couldn't take another day because I'd already put off stuff to go there in the first place.

Hotels and base billeting are maxed out, and prices have doubled for that weekend...just booked in Circleville for the few days...I will be there Saturday only I think...unless things change

Wow... So I might just go to Urbana then. I want my kids to see multiple living, breathing Forts. And I'll continue a pretty nerdy tradition that my littlest son inspired. Every warbird I see, I dab up some of the oil it leaks on my repro HBT cap. He was just 3 back then and quick as a wink, reached up and got a handful of oil from Sentimental Journey, and I knew exactly what to clean it up with. Looks more authentic!

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly...the Belle and Shoo Shoo will not be together...the Belle will have her own time in the sun at the USAFM, with the control tower and Quonset hut...a good WWII photo op

Shoo Shoo will be on a separate display/storage area at the USAFM, until such time as the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center is ready to receive her...

But they will not be side by side

look for fly overs of B-17s that weekend ...

this looks to be the tower and briefing hut where the Belle is supposed to be...that weekend..

post-155518-0-17839000-1513112081.jpg

I understand the space issues, but it’s absolutely idiotic to me, to not have those two combat vets together. Finish the swoose and the combat history of the 17 is all there. Sticking Shoo Shoo in storage is a crime

agreed.. I understand it is an issue of ownership...Shoo Shoo belongs to Udvar-Hazy...and we can't play with their toys...generally speaking...I would love to see all three together under one roof telling the story of the Fortress...that would be a national treasure IMO

man, ill say this---------- I love those B-17'S. I wish I could go up in one. they are the great symbol of the army air corps and the best bomber of all time.

When Shoo Shoo Baby finally goes on display at Udvar Hazy, there will be more than a few of my fellow volunteers from the Air Mobility Command museum that will be taking the trip to visit the plane. It was here at Dover that she was restored to pristine airworthy condition by those same individuals!

-Ski