CMP M1911 Pistol deal looks to be going through soon

mghcal

Sounds like the President will be signing the NDAA 2018 bill that includes a provision to sell surplus M1911s. Will any of you be purchasing these? I remember when my grandfather bought one through the NRA back in the 1980s. But with a $1000 pricetag that I've been reading about on other sites it might be better to buy one I can see first. Any other thoughts?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-army-selling-most-powerful-013200617.html

You know those shows where you can't tell the evil twin, copy, imposter, etc. from the real person? Well, you could safely shoot the version of me that isn't getting one... He's the imposter!

The article also mentions M1 Garands and .22 rimfire rifles. Looks like things may get interesting again. I, for one, have been waiting for this to happen. Right now the pricing is pure speculation, but I've already started my 1911 fund.

I initially saw the $1000 price tag, and then I read on a couple sites that those were going to be for the lowest grade, with prices running up to $1500-$1600 for better ones...pretty much what they sell for at retail now, so it's not the spectacular deal that many of us were hoping for.

Figured the same as Dave stated.

Also any better grades or something unusual Im guessing will be graded out and put to auction by the CMP on thier web site.

Figured the same as Dave stated.

Also any better grades or something unusual Im guessing will be graded out and put to auction by the CMP on thier web site.

This. They don't let anything of greater value escape their auctions I don't think, and all will be accurately graded and priced accordingly.

The upshot is that for the un-educated person who wants a "one of" shooter, I think you can buy one of these with confidence and know it hasn't been all goobered up, faked up, humped up, etc. It might be a mix-master, but it will be "as issued" for sure.

Hope this all comes to fruition.

I'd be happy with a mixmaster for sure...or even a frame...

to get one at 1000 would be a deal in my neck of the woods...

CMP, as I understand it, still has logistical issues to deal with, before they can receive the pistols, even after the bill is signed

I have been treated very well by the CMP folks, but haven't bought anything for quite a few years. With that, when they say to scribble a note to "ask" for something you desire, just ask. You never know what that request will bring, but it is the real deal!

Good points above, which I have read / heard consistently. Legislation aside, there is still an inventory, allocation, and transfer process that could take years. I suspect this was part of the justification for the initial 'metering' approach (10K / year). Also, this is the age of internet, and I've heard foretold auction scenarios, as some have already mentioned. Honestly, it would be foolish not to. With this, comes auction prices. Exacerbated by the attention these will get, they are likely going to bring premiums.

Hello

I read that article also, any one catch the last line, it really PO'd me

"that means there are at least 80,000 1911s ready and waiting for a nasty civilian to give them a good home."

the author is calling us "Nasty"

Given the way the CMP grades M1 Garands, I suspect the M1911/1911A1s will be graded and priced accordingly. The best ones will be auctioned. Also, I don't think you can assume that the pistols will be as issued or even as carried. The CMP has swapped parts and stocks around for previous sales in order to produce higher grade rifles and will probably do that to produce higher (and correct) grade pistols. That means you will be getting a USGI M1911/M1911A1 with USGI parts if you buy rack or service grade, but that is as far as you can go. This may also produce a small cache of parts, but more than likely those will be held for years to upgrade or fix pistols for sale.

The thing to remember is that CMP generates funds for marksmanship training and matches, and doesn't sell firearms just to please the collector community.

I also suspect that once the feeding frenzy dies down, the market for M1911/M1911A1s will be depressed much as the market for M1 carbines was depressed for several years once all the Italian and Greek returns were sold.

Probably no one will get a Singer by accident.

Hello

I read that article also, any one catch the last line, it really PO'd me

"that means there are at least 80,000 1911s ready and waiting for a nasty civilian to give them a good home."

the author is calling us "Nasty"

pretty sure it was in jest...author seemed pro CMP all the way...

I bought an M1911A1 in 1963 -- 'unserviceable' -- for $17.00 delivered! It had a cracked grip which I replaced for $3 a pair. I still have it.

G

Hey Gil, I'll give you your $20 for that and will even pay shipping lol. You all had it good back then for sure. Great points on all the posts above and have gotten me seriously considering getting one of these when they become available. One question I have is that I live in CA, will these be legal to buy from here? Are they considered relics?

Charlie Flick

This is taken directly from the CMP website:

11/22/17 - Latest update on the 1911’s…..

Because of the limited number and the exceedingly high demand for the pistol, and the great level of Congressional scrutiny, the Board of Directors will make a decision regarding how sales will be handled. We have no further information at this time. – Mrs. Judith Legerski, Chairman, CMP Board of Directors.

Regards,

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...

The CMP 1911 sale is now a done deal since the President has signed the Defense Appropriations Bill. The CMP has posted updated guidance on how the guns will be sold. It will be a completely new application process from their rifle sales and only one M1911 per customer. The CMP is also saying that they have no intention of “price gouging,” but intend to sell at market rates. The best guess is that it will be around $900. They are pretty sure that their may be some unique guns in the 80,000 they will be receiving. Those will likely be put up for auction. The rest of the guns are more likely “mix masters” that have gone through several armory rebuilds. If so, we can only hope that they were arsenal reconditioned before storage and have not been reissued at some point.

CMP has posted that they intend to put the first 10,000 guns up for sale after they have been graded for serviceability. All applications will be run through a NICS check for eligibility and then placed in a random number generator to determine a order for processing applications. So, the first application they receive will not necessarily be the first one to have their application processed. Go to the CMP website for the latest details, as they keep posting clarifications on the procedure based upon questions they have been receiving.

Woof...a complex system!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1. CMP will have an all-new 1911 order form, 1911 purchasing instructions, a 1911 page on our web site, a dedicated 1911 FFL fax number and email address for the FFL holder to send their FFL with customer’s name attached. The customer will have to send in a complete new order packet with all new qualifying criteria included. Everyone will be a new customer, everyone starts with no advantage or disadvantage. CMP 1911 is an FFL governed operation and is a separate entity from CMP and has to have its own record keeping operation with no ties to the old CMP records.
2. Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt. CMP will price at fair market value in accordance with CMP’s enabling legislation.
3. Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) a signed copy of the 01, 02, 07 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to. These are “store front” FFLs.
4. A NICS background check will be performed by CMP on the customer to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the “store front” FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a “proceed” from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.
5. The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person at the FFL dealers place of business, successfully passing a NICS check, in which the information is provided by the FFL holder to NICS, before the pistol can be transferred. This is a second NICS check performed on the customer.
6. Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
7. No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales. All 1911 orders will come in via USPS, UPS, Fed EX, etc.
8. CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
9. Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery, USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, etc.
10. Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
11. Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
12. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
13. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
14. When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one 1911 type pistol.
15. As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grades and pricing options will be available.

Based on previous CMP sales of M1 Carbines, M1903s, and recent M1 Garands, I suspect these pistols will range in price from $1000 to $1500 based on condition and current market trends (M1911A1 US&S, Ithaca, and Colt will go higher than Remington Rand; any M1911 like Springfield Armory and Remington UMC more than M1911 Colt). Anything that is found to be completely correct and in excellent condition will probably go to auction. Probably most, if not all, the M1911/1911A1s available for sale will be mix-masters with all the parts USGI. Slides and frames may or may or may not match unless the CMP engages in a massive swapping of parts to get like slides matched to frames and with correct barrels. Given that it would be labor intensive I doubt they will go that far, but in order to get "correct" grade pistols they may swap out barrels if everything else is correct.

My feeling is that there will be some mischief in buying them with everyone in one family putting in the correct paperwork, but I just don't see this being the M1911/1911A1 nirvana that some are looking for. I'd suggest that if you can afford one, go ahead and put in your request when it's time and see what happens. Unless the House and Senate change the conditions and the President approves the changes, I think this could go on for several years.

• 1 month later...