An M1 Helmet Wash Basin

Burning Hazard

Burning Hazard

Latest pick up

Very very salty, plain fixed bail shell with chinstraps tied around the back. The straps are SOLID and will NOT budge; I will not even attempt to unbuckle them as they look like they've been like that since the war.

Let's jump into the pics (I'm also testing out my new photo station and playing around with the lighting and photo editing)

post-8715-0-62987500-1511147633_thumb.jpg

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Both are very beautiful, I love salty helmets! This is a bit off topic, but does anybody have a Vietnam war helmet with soap residue inside? I see it a lot in pictures of Vietnam but no helmets, while it is fairly common in WWII helmets.

Notice in post # 7 with the soldier shaving, his helmet is missing at least one of its straps. Wonder if it got burned off...

Steve

curious as to why you suggest it got burned off?

curious as to why you suggest it got burned off?

Just a thought - maybe he heated water in the helmet over a fire and the strap burned off -- or not... why else would the strap be missing from the helmet?

Steve

Just a thought - maybe he heated water in the helmet over a fire and the strap burned off -- or not... why else would the strap be missing from the helmet?

Steve

wear and tear, cut off and all that

I was just looking at one of my helmets, and I noticed what appears to be soap residue in it as well. I brought to mind the helmet That was in this topic. My photo abilities are not as accomplished as Burning hazard's, but I think you can see it.

Kind of cool...post-13198-0-00488000-1511657707.jpg