German DD M35 Army and Insignia from POW in Stalag Luft 3

Austin_Militaria

Austin_Militaria

I had picked up a small grouping of a Lt. that was in in Stalag Luft 3 a month or so ago. I got a call yesterday that they found a couple more items, a nice M35 double decal Army helmet, a small buckle, single Pioneer shoulder tab and some more US insignia.

First picture is what I got a month ago. The other one yesterday.

post-2578-0-65448600-1511144134.jpg

post-2578-0-72275200-1511144206_thumb.jpg

Great grouping, the Engineer shoulder board, by the way, will be for Pioneer Battalion 27, 27. Infantry Division, later Panzer Pioneer Battalion 27 when the 27.ID is totally reorganized as a Panzer Division in late 1940.

Super grouping!

Patches, you are on target with the ID of the Pionier-Batl. 27/Panzerpionier-Batl. 27 shoulder strap. Their home station was in Ingolstadt, Bavaria. This leads me to wonder if Mr. Thompson was one of the prisoners transferred from Luft Stalag III (Sagan) by train to Stalag VII-A in Moosburg, Bavaria on Jan. 31st. Moosburg is about an hours drive away from Ingolstadt. I also wonder if the liberated prisoners from Moosburg were relocated to the nicer accommodations of the old barracks in Ingolstadt and that is how Mr. Thompson acquired the shoulder strap and the DD helmet. All "what if" but does make one wonder.

Austin_Militaria

Super grouping!

Patches, you are on target with the ID of the Pionier-Batl. 27/Panzerpionier-Batl. 27 shoulder strap. Their home station was in Ingolstadt, Bavaria. This leads me to wonder if Mr. Thompson was one of the prisoners transferred from Luft Stalag III (Sagan) by train to Stalag VII-A in Moosburg, Bavaria on Jan. 31st. Moosburg is about an hours drive away from Ingolstadt. I also wonder if the liberated prisoners from Moosburg were relocated to the nicer accommodations of the old barracks in Ingolstadt and that is how Mr. Thompson acquired the shoulder strap and the DD helmet. All "what if" but does make one wonder.

His NARA POW file lists him being at Stalag 7A in Moosberg Bavaria when he was released.

Austin_Militaria

Also helmet was reissued as there is a decal under the national. Not sure what it is. Does not look like there are any SS ruins.

post-2578-0-69355900-1511275148_thumb.jpg

His NARA POW file lists him being at Stalag 7A in Moosberg Bavaria when he was released.

When Stalag Luft III was evacuated in January 1945, most of the camps prisoners were marched to Stalag 7A where they stayed until the end of the war,

There is a thread in the POW section of the forum dedicated to POW tags. You should add the tag to the thread.

Kurt