Last Crusader to leave Andrews AFB

phantomfixer

My buddy in the USN...the plane captain..on the last Crusader to leave Andrews AFB around 1984ish...I understand it is at Pensecola on display

post-155518-0-55571800-1511138915_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool, thanks for sharing this. Please post the other pictures if you can!

Yes, the Crusader was the last gunfighter but by this time, the only ones left were the RF-8G photo recon birds. All the fighter versions had been retired by the 80s.

-Derek

post-5482-0-89357600-1511966252_thumb.jpeg

Thanks for the year Randy...his scrap book, since pack away from many moves, has all the pics of the ceremony, launch and take off...

and yes Derek I do believe it was the Recce model according to his tales..

Doug's navy career, after the F8, was an assignment at Andrews Naval Transient Maintenance...catching all the Navy and Marine jets coming and going at Andrews

I only saw one F-8 in my career, and it was French Navy in 1988. I think they flew them until 2000 or so, but it was the fighter version, not recce. Like your friend, I worked in TA but in Germany for 4 years. Best time I ever had job-wise, being launch/recovery qualified on everything NATO owned from F-100s to F-18s. I took a ton of pics too, plus bot farmed out to airshows all over Europe. It was a lot of work, most of our business were F-104s and F-4s, but every day was different.

Randy

Hey, I just noticed you said he was in VFP-306. They did inactivate in 1984. Their sister unit at Andrews, VFP-206, flew on with the RF-8G until 1987. Maybe that's what he was talking about.

Randy