MAG-23 | Marine Air Group 23 | Disney design

walika

Marine Air Group 23

MAG-23

Commissioned: 3-1-1942
Decommissioned: 11-1-1945
Date of Insignia: 1942
Artist: Walt Disney Studios

Decal on leather. Design by Walt Disney Studios.

MAG-23-500.jpg

Marine Air Group 23 was commissioned at Marine Corps Air Station Ewa, Hawaii, as part of the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing on March 1, 1942. The group became the first Marine aviation group to meet the Japanese in the South Pacific. They formed the forward echelon of the 1st Marine Aircraft Wing (1st MAW) during the Battle of Guadalcanal and landed its first units at Henderson Field, Guadalcanal on August 20, 1942 when VMF-223 and VMSB-231 were flown off the USS Long Island (CVE-1).

Ten days later the group's rear echelon, composed of VMF-224 and VMSB-232, joined the forward echelon at Henderson Field. MAG-23, augmented by Army and Navy land based air under the operational control of 1st MAW, furnished air support to the 1st Marine Division and Army ground forces in the struggle for Guadalcanal. The Group composed of only four Marine squadrons, detachments from six Navy carrier squadrons (VS-5, VB-6, VF-5, VS-71, VT-8 and VS-3), and the 67th Army Pursuit Squadron. This heterogeneous group shot down 244 enemy planes in four weeks. Navy pilots accounted 44, Army flyers, using P-400s shot down eight. The remaining 192 were credited to Marines. Though MAG-23 suffered casualties as well (22 Marine pilots killed in action, three by enemy naval gunfire), their actions were vital in the legendary Marine victory at Guadalcanal.

From Guadalcanal, MAG-23 was transferred to the Naval Air Station San Diego where it served as a part of Marine Air, West Coast from November 18, 1942 until January 9, 1943. The group was then transferred to Marine Corps Air Station El Toro until September 1943. On September 19, 1943, the group again landed at MCAS Ewa and remained there as part of Marine Air Hawaiian Area until May 1944. On May 8, 1944, the group transferred to Midway Atoll where it remained until the war ended. After the war, MAG-23 returned to the West Coast and was decommissioned on November 1, 1945.

• 9 months later...

I don't have any idea... looks like added later for me. The box was offer to buy to my friend from California.

Regards,

Jerry

What a wonderful piece. I was curious to see what I could find on him . . .

Charles Edward Bogolea (18 Mar 1922-27 Jul 1992) was born in East Rochester, PA. He enlisted in the Marine Corps at Philadelphia 30 Jun 1942. Tech Sgt Bogolea is listed among MAG-23 aboard USS Essex 15 September 1943.

CE%20Bogolea_World_War_II_Registration-7

CE%20Bogolea_World_War_II_Registration-b

CE%20Bogolea_Essex_Sep_1943-800.jpg

Regards,

Rick

• 1 year later...