DMD

Robbins Command Pilot Wings

Here is a nice set of command pilot wings. Are they WWII vintage or later?

I have seen this Robbins hallmark on later insignia, like a US Army pilot wing I used to have. Robbins used this mark for a lot of their products, and they used it for a long time after the war. So you can't really say the hallmark is a WWII one.

I don't think the lack of an alphanumeric, like R21, necessarily means anything, eitther. You would expect to see this if the item was being sold to the armed forces because the manufacturer was an authorized supplier.

The discoloration on the back is caused by a clear varnish coating that is worn off in places.

The last photo shows the "short posts" from a good pilot wing. The Robbins wings are on the bottom in the picture. The Robbins posts are the same size as 1960s clutch posts.

Probably most people would say they are WWII, but why couldn't they be from 1959 or so? Robbins continued to make insignia during the 1950s and later (that US Army pilot wing I mentioned). Opinions?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

For comparison, this is the short post pilot wing.

7.jpg

I have a navigator with the same logo incised (sp?) and asked around to several collectors and according to a fellow collector this was an early post war mark into the 1950's...

Nice comparison photos on the posts... part of the fun and the frustration is dating some wings since the use of old stock could last for sometime.

Thanks for posting it is a very nice CP wing!

My guess is Korean War era on... but pre 1960's

John

edit - nice and clear photos!! They are ALWAYS welcome!

Always looking for Wings & Named Air Medals!

Motto: To Collect, Preserve, and Remember!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

That's my guess, too. I when I got them, I figured they were WWII. This was based on something that Huff has in one of his books. He said, "Robbins made wings only during World War II." That's not a slam against him, I just took something I read and decided it was gospel.

On the other hand, wouldn't you expect a different soldering technique by the 1950s? Looks hand soldered to me, and the lacquer is still intact around the solder. Wouldn't Robbins have used a machine for soldering between 1950 and 1960?

Dennis - I am at my regular PC and did a quick check for you on the hallmark.

According to my notes to which I credit a well versed collector friend the FLYING R makers mark was not used until 1953 and that your CP wing was not produced until 1960 under Mil spec Mil-B-10955C-6/10/59.

My friend happens to have the DIE card and envelop plus a rubbing of the wing as well.

How much does your wing weigh with clutches on and off?

John

Hey John, I don't have access to a scale, so I don't know the weight.

What exactly is a die card and a rubbing?

Hey John, I don't have access to a scale, so I don't know the weight.

What exactly is a die card and a rubbing?

Dennis,

A die card has the rubbing of the actual die used to produce the wing. If you recall when kids in school would take a leaf and place it under a peice of paper and rub a crayon over the top to show an image of the leaf. The same is done in this case to show a representation.

As for the weight they should be 18.8 dwt.

John

You should be able to do a search and find that old thread, I think. It was pretty helpful and interesting.