Escape & Evasion Life Barter kit

wartimecollectables.com

Patchcollector

I urge all that have an interest in this topic to read through the discussion from the link that 63recon provided in post # 7.

It discusses at length(6 pages!)all the possibilities,but the conclusion I came away with after reading through it is that the watches are postwar made,based on the

movement.

Interestingly,some suggested that the kits themselves may be WW2 era and that the watches were added later.

Doesn't the fact that the kit refers to COMNAVAIRLANT indicate the kit is post war? My understanding is that it was known as COMAIRLANT during WWII and the NAV was added sometime in the 1950s.

I suspect these were originally made in WWII but updated in the 50s or 60s with newer watches and packaging.

Would anyone trust a 20 year old watch that had never been wound? And the rubber packaging would become brittle over time if not replaced.

Naval aviators in the Philippines had a packet that contained 100 pesos in Series 1941 Philippine banknotes. The serial numbers for these notes are known and command a greater premium than their regular issue counterparts.

wartimecollectables.com

Right!? If you have one, you may be more compelled to be a believer, and on the flip side, if they do prove to be WWII I'll be pissed that I don't have one! A positive thing is that they have gold, which maintains some value and am sure those who have bought one years ago, it may be worth more than they purchased it for having the precious metal.

A couple more pics just to add to the thread. One is of the only marking on my "Pacific" kit and the other of the 10K mark inside one of the rings. Neither image sways the evidence either way, just adds to the thread.

I will add this, and also not meant to sway one way or another, just my input. The question isn't are they real or not but are the circa 1943 or 1963 (give or take). I began this post assuming that it is as published in many places, wWII era. However, frankly, I don't collect WWII. I have an interest the Civil War / Indian Wars era and the Vietnam War. If this did indeed turn out to be solidly a Cold War, early Vietnam conflict piece,I'd just think that was cooler than the other side of the pillow!

post-93-0-07116600-1511133197.jpg

post-93-0-79670600-1511133206.jpg

Certainly there is a lot of rawhide to gnaw on about these things, both types. My last thought is that I find it extremely interesting that these kits remained in 100% obscurity until being released for surplus by the DOD. It's a fun mystery.

Something had additionally occurred to me is that the National Archives has a holding of escape and evasion aids that can only be accessed by an official request through FOIA. You have to submit the request through a different agency to be granted access to view them, though they are in storage at NARA. Perhaps the answers lie there?!

lettow,

Although the Wikipedia entry does say the term "ComNavAirLant" only had the "Nav" added in the 1950s, that may not be a definitive source. By searching Fold3.com, I've found a couple of other WW2 vintage Navy acronyms that do include the "Nav". For example, "ComNavAirPac" and "ComNavAirBases". Still looking.

Regards, Paul

Almost forgot to say that I love my kit's number of "665". If you believe in "666" then you are one digit from the devil

dealing for your life.

lettow,

Although the Wikipedia entry does say the term "ComNavAirLant" only had the "Nav" added in the 1950s, that may not be a definitive source. By searching Fold3.com, I've found a couple of other WW2 vintage Navy acronyms that do include the "Nav". For example, "ComNavAirPac" and "ComNavAirBases". Still looking.

Regards, Paul

There are 3,900+ entries on fold3.com for COMAIRLANT between 1943 and 1945. None for COMNAVAIRLANT.