My Vietnam war infantry flak vests.

PASGT

Guys I want to show you my small VN war infantry flak vests collection. They are at near mint condition. From left to right 1) M1952A Size M fragmentation vest was used in early Vietnam war period 1965 -1968 2) In the middle: Fragmentation Vest with 3/4 collar, Size M. Dated 1969 was used from 1969 until the 1973, Mid war period and late war period 3) M69 flak vest with Velcro 1970 dated. S Size. the only vest which was called correct "m69"!! previous model called m69 by collectors is mistaken you need to know that. M69 with Velcro was used from the 1970 till 1973 by the us army and till 1975 by the ARVN.

P.S
In Vietnam war all mentioned vests above were used without time frame, I write time periods to make you imagine from what year period which vest came. For example M1952A an early one, could be seen at late war period used...with other late war or mid war vests.
Thanks for attention
Deniss

post-105005-0-73316000-1510952840_thumb.jpg

Very cool. To me nothing symbolizes the Vietnam War infantryman more than a babyfaced kid with a steel pot and nothing on his torso but his dog tags and flak vest.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Very cool. To me nothing symbolizes the Vietnam War infantryman more than a babyfaced kid with a steel pot and nothing on his torso but his dog tags and flak vest.

For me it's that kid with a whole bunch of stuff hanging off him in random places in a sloppy fashion, bandoliers across the chest and worn as a belt, a bunch of canteens hanging off the belt and off a huge ruck along with a sock full of C ration cans. A helmet band holding all sorts of odds and ends, cigs, bug juice, can opener, etc. And just just wet and muddy.

• 5 years later...

Hi to everyone!

I have a question about sizes of fragvests. From information that I`ve found, they only seem to be different in chest width, but do they have defference in height? I have 3/4 collar vest size m, but It doesn`t fit due to my height(6'5). Is there any sense to try bigger sized vest or result will be the same?

USMC_COLLECTOR

Welcome to the forum! They did not make any tall flak vests to the best of my knowledge. It's just the struggle of being over 6 ft tall. I've got the same issue with uniforms.

2 hours ago, Le Hanse said:

Hi to everyone!

I have a question about sizes of fragvests. From information that I`ve found, they only seem to be different in chest width, but do they have defference in height? I have 3/4 collar vest size m, but It doesn`t fit due to my height(6'5). Is there any sense to try bigger sized vest or result will be the same?

On 11/16/2023 at 8:18 PM, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

Welcome to the forum! They did not make any tall flak vests to the best of my knowledge. It's just the struggle of being over 6 ft tall. I've got the same issue with uniforms.

Thank you for your response. But how did soldiers over 6ft tall use fragvest in Vietnam if it didn`t fit their height properly?

USMC_COLLECTOR

They were told to make do with what they had. 

3 hours ago, Le Hanse said:

Thank you for your response. But how did soldiers over 6ft tall use fragvest in Vietnam if it didn`t fit their height properly?