Ww2 Usmc helmet cover

juodonnell2012

juodonnell2012

Hello everyone I just won this cover off of eBay. It went for higher than I hoped but I'm still happy with it! Based off the pattern and stitching it looks good to me. What does everyone else think? Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

juodonnell2012

Thanks for the comments gentlemen! I'm wondering what the best way to display this one is. Should I loosely drape it on a helmet or put it in one of my cases?

juodonnell2012

Also I've been digging through the "rethinking the norm" thread on these covers and it left me slightly confused. Are these covers good for my late war (Iwo/Oki) display? Or are they considered post war?

Also I've been digging through the "rethinking the norm" thread on these covers and it left me slightly confused. Are these covers good for my late war (Iwo/Oki) display? Or are they considered post war?

This is a 1st pattern Camo cover early War ,

Good for Iwo Jima and Okinawa

First pattern is just a collector's term, the date of manufacture for this pattern is unknown to my knowledge, but they seem to be more common late war and in Korea.

Nice cover.

First pattern is just a collector's term, the date of manufacture for this pattern is unknown to my knowledge, but they seem to be more common late war and in Korea.

Nice cover.

Not sure about this being late War as the foliage slit covers where the norm for later covers. The Korean War blue anchor covers have foliage slits , I believe this to be the first pattern as after this pattern all had foliage slits.

D.C

I bought my so-called third pattern cover from Pieter Oosterman. In the ad Pieter used a drawing that seemed to prove that the third pattern cover is actually the first pattern. It was a drawing from ca. 1942 that showed marine covers with slits and button holes in the flaps.

I still don't know what to believe. However I do agree with everyone else in that this particular cover is 100% original. Nice score!

I bought my so-called third pattern cover from Pieter Oosterman. In the ad Pieter used a drawing that seemed to prove that the third pattern cover is actually the first pattern. It was a drawing from ca. 1942 that showed marine covers with slits and button holes in the flaps.

I still don't know what to believe. However I do agree with everyone else in that this particular cover is 100% original. Nice score!

I think as the cover evolved foliage slits where added. Ive added some pics from my reference books ,

As no one can be 100% sure on what order the patterns actually where issued first , I look at the 1953 anchor variant and see that it has slits for foliage thus thinking this was a later pattern adopted as the Camo covers evolved.

Just my opinion on it

D.C

It really makes sense. Still, his drawing showed a cover with the slits and button holes and it was dated 1942. I guess they must have made a mistake or something, or it could have been a prototype, or, maybe they just started production of different models simultaneously, early in the war. But it definitely makes sense that the slits for twigs and foliage were an improvement which would mean that those covers are of a later pattern. Hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks!

Ken

Edit: Makes me wonder though, camouflage on an already camouflaged cover? Maybe some manufacturers just didn't think that was necessary? Wish I could show that drawing but I didn't save it to my computer.

Collectors terminology and photographic evidence are needed here. This has been discussed before on the forum at length. However, this is a beautiful original late war cover in my opinion!!

It really makes sense. Still, his drawing showed a cover with the slits and button holes and it was dated 1942. I guess they must have made a mistake or something, or it could have been a prototype, or, maybe they just started production of different models simultaneously, early in the war. But it definitely makes sense that the slits for twigs and foliage were an improvement which would mean that those covers are of a later pattern. Hadn't thought of it that way. Thanks!

Ken

Edit: Makes me wonder though, camouflage on an already camouflaged cover? Maybe some manufacturers just didn't think that was necessary? Wish I could show that drawing but I didn't save it to my computer.

Just had a friend email me with some info that the covers with foliage slits might actually be first covers although no solid evidence.

This will be a mystery untill the actual blueprints that are dated come to light , Im on the fence still with it.

Thanks for the input Ken

juodonnell2012

Thanks for the info. I looked around the forum and found a few solid vet bring backs from iwo jima with no foliage slits as well as photos from IWO with no slits as well. It seems these covers are veiled in a bit of mystery but right now evidence points to them being later war. Either way im very happy to add this one to my collection!

More Info

This book printed a flaw, it states the covers with slits are from late 1943 which is incorrect.

A possibility that has been bounced around was that as the war progressed and the ETO came to an end that the slits were removed to speed up production to supply the mass troop increase in the PTO.

Would be really cool if someone found a doc on these covers too.

Nice cover