What to Get Yourself for Christmas - A book by the Kellers

tredhed2

Everybody

I know many of you who collect patches are hoping for someone in your family to surprise you with something you need or want for Christmas. You will most likely be disappointed. You will end up with a tie or socks or something cool like that. Or maybe someone will be thoughtful enough to hit the bargain bin at WalMart and get you a video game from 2015....

Many times here on the Forum, there are requests to ID what turns out to be common insignia. Or, you have ventured out and bought something theater made and are making inquiries as to it's/their authenticity. Even more times, there are members here on the Forum who tell you that knowledge is power; the best way judge a collection is to see the resource materials in support of the collection; or that buying books is insurance.

I'm here to remind ALL of your, whether novice or advanced, that there are some books that have recently been published by one of the Forum members and his brother. They are INEXPENSIVE and just full of color photos. If you are new to collecting, they will help you identify what you have or may want; eventually, you will get ALL the common insignia and want to move on to not-so-common insignia. No one stops at all the infantry divisions and looks for another hobby. For those of you who are advanced, there are a lot of patches in these books that will inspire you to expand your search.

No, it's not all on the internet. Far too often, I see posts from people asking for insignia to be identified, and the same people say they been fruitlessly searching for hours on the internet. The answers come from so many other members who have books. We are all fortunate that some collectors see a need to research, organize, and publish what we all collect. Further, there are not as many military shows as there used to be, and since I rarely see younger members at those I attend and my friends tell me the same about shows they attend, BOOKS are invaluable possessions. These books fit that definition of invaluable possessions and all have been posted elsewhere on the Forum, but not recently enough.

Emblems of Honor Infantry Divisions Vol 1 1-12th Divs (the book w/ the Number 1 in lower right corner) and Emblems of Honor Infantry Divisions Vol 1 13th-35th Divs (th book w. the Number 2 in the lower right corner) are 54 ppgs, spiral bound, s/c and are $35 each. Each has more than 440 photos of patches and photos of them being worn. I know some of you are thinking that the books don't cover all the infantry divisions and you may have questions about them. The photography in these books is so good, that it is relatively easy to compare what you have to patches in these books that YOU will be able to make a determination as to what you have. By buying either one or both of these books, you will have a much better idea of what you are looking for to add to your collection.

Emblems of Honor Rangers is the book on the far right is 56 pages, spiral bound, s/c and has 300 + photos of Ranger insignia and the insignia being worn ($40). You will not find a better book depicting actual Ranger insignia from WW 2- Korea (and a little later) in this universe. NO where. There is information in this Ranger book not previously published anywhere and it will be personally enriching to you to have the information at your fingertips. I mean, the typical WW II Ranger scroll sells for $40, so you will be ahead of the game. This books includes Ranger ovals, Ranger signs, and Ranger guidons. How many of you have ever seen a Ranger guidon? As with the two divisional books, you will have a much better idea of what you are looking for to add to your collection.

All three books may be ordered by sending a check or MO to:

Keller & Keller Publishing

PO Box 767

New Kingstown, PA 17072

Flat rate shipping charge of $5 per order.

​You will be glad you got something you really wanted!

post-622-0-68937200-1510867582_thumb.jpg

Every single word written by Tredhed2 I agree with 110%.These Great Books should be in every patch collectors library they are the best of the best.Scotty

Is "Emblems of Honor Airborne" out of print? I consider it to be their crowning achievement. ALL of the Kellers' reference books are outstanding. Every patch collector can learn from what you find within the pages of these valuable references.

Allan

Patchcollector

I hope I'm not offending anyone as it is not my intention,but I do not consider books that do not show all aspects of a collectible in detail a reference.I would consider them to be more of a "coffee table" book.Just my opinion.

When I first started collecting US SSI , the only reference material I had was Britain & Washington: Shoulder patches of the US Armed Forces, Third Addition( p1981) 21 May 1985 , my next book was Richard Smith SSI of the US Armed forces 1941-45, third edition (1981) from HJ Saunders March 1991. Both of which I have today. Back in the 80's and early 90's getting books from the US to NZ was about 6 months and there were lean pickings. I had always wondered why the biggest military nation couldn't produce a descent patch book on their own military units-what gives?

In my opinion this all changed when the Kellers brought out their first book on Divisions in 2001. And yes Patchcollector, I too found it amiss , show the backs! Well here is my opinion.

I have all the Kellers volumes,I study, read and I also buy patches based on their volumes.

Below are just but some patches, since 2006 I have purchased, based solely on their books.

They have given me more confidence what to look for in collecting patches and the shear breadth of variations of patches in construction,materials from all over the world, where US forces have been stationed including CONUS , is mind boggling in these volumes. There are more Patches in their volumes than on this forum. Not just from their own collections but from many well known and established collections that have also contributed that you will not see any where else.

I do understand reference material is but one of a number of tools we need and yes I do know the Keller's Kurt and Bill.

If I am stuck, I have a number of contacts ,Kurt,Bill and long established ASMIC members,who are also on this forum-too many to name.

They do not do this for fame,fortune or a Pulitzer prize, they do it to help educate our collecting community.The effort and time alone plus funding in producing these books, is not an easy as we think.

The only part of your comment I find offensive is "I would consider them to be more of a "coffee table" book." Friend they deserve better than that comment.

Buy one of the volume's and give an informative opinion.

As tredhed2 says treat yourself to a Xmas present.

I will add they are also good blokes, you would have a beer and a barbie(Q) with.

Phill

post-7582-0-94807200-1510898177.jpg

post-7582-0-54888500-1510898191.jpg

post-7582-0-08709700-1510898284.jpg

post-7582-0-67552600-1510898368_thumb.jpg

I would first start out by saying I don’t consider myself an advance collector but I find the three books noted in this thread are some of best reference books around. What the authors have done for the patch collecting community is what has been needed for a long time they have taken the time to research, photograph and validate the patches and other item in their books unlike so many of the other books out their that are riddled with known fakes.

If going by the standard set by patchcollector the question I would ask is what book does he/she use when researching say a WWI 2nd Div. 1st Bn. 2nd Engineer patch or even say one of the many 35th Inf. Div. patches. If the patchcollector has taken the time to publish a book as they describe I would like to know the name of the book, the publisher and the number of pages so I can order a copy to add to my library of reference material.

What I would say to all the authors who take the time to research and document books on patches keep up the good work and to those working on books I’m looking forward to you books.

I would like to consider myself an advanced collector well atleast by the amount of money I spent;ask my wife! The Keller books are a must if you buy patches. Besides they spent days making photos of my collection and others that I know that have just terrific items which have been a treasure trove of information for all. Phil said it all in the above post.

BILL THE PATCH

Last year my kids got me the three volume set of heroes in our midst, this year I'm letting them know I want the keller's set this year, it's pays to have a few kids, now there giving back to me, hee, hee

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I have all their books in my collection, except for the new Ranger one. Now when my 23th year old daughter complains that she never knows what to get me for Christmas, I'll have an answer.

Chris

Maybe members can print out the first post that started this thread and leave it laying around.......or tape it to the fridge. Whatever works for you.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback on the books.

For those of you interested, we still have copies of all of the Emblems of Honor series available.

For the Holidays, we're offering free shipping on 2 or more books.

And a sale on the Armor/Cavalry and Airborne books. $40 for the Armor/Cav book and $65 for the Airborne book.

Incidentally, there is a comprehensive 16 page section in the back of the Airborne book that shows the backs of patches. It covers most of the styles of embroidery and countries of origin you'll encounter.

Big thanks to tredhed2 for starting the thread!

Best Regards,

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Getting better all the time. You will not be disappointed in purchasing any or all of these books.Again, it's all REAL insignia, no fantasies, no incorrect IDs, just pure original pieces, many backed by photos of them being worn.